Python!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I feel as if this wonder doesn't get the praise it deserves! I remember lugging 5 gallon buckets full of water from my kitchen to my den (about a 50 foot walk) and how back breaking the work is. So this ones your you Python! I've owned mine for about two years now and still ask myself how I lived without it.

In case you are still in the dark about this product it is pictured below. A simple syphon, but its the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in aquarium aspects. Yep thats including the awesome reef tanks.

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~teosb1/python.jpg

Why is it that almost every single thread on AA makes me want to spend more money??

EI dosing of planted tanks is probably the best salesman of the python there is, because it requires a 50% water change weekly. Ugh. I need/want one soo bad and need to just bite the bullet and jump on that python train.

I've never even used one and am completely convinced of how great they are. I'm jealous!

One question: Will the python fit a typical bathroom faucet?

Most faucets, yes. Some of the 'fancy' faucets, it will not.

I recently moved into a place that had 'fancy' faucets, and it didn't fit, nor could I find an appropriate adapter. Needless to say, Lowe's has some bathroom faucets for $20 and you best believe I took out the gold 'fancy' faucet and replaced it with the cheap one simply so I could use my python. My wife thought I was nuts.

The python faucet connector is the same thing as the ones for a water bed. Also if you can't use the connector on your faucet, you can fill the tank from the cold water side of a washing machine hook up. You'd still have to siphon to someplace else like a tub or a toilet to drain water though. There's a drain pipe under most washing machine faucets, but it's usually 3 to 4 feet up the wall, kinda high for a gravity siphon.

The next step of course is getting the RO/DI filter with it's own water tap. That's a whole different punch to the wallet though...

Pardon my stupidity if this comes out wrong. With these pythons, you hook them up to your faucet to get the suction going... I understand that. Then to fill it you flip the valve the other way, got it. When do you condition the water? I always thought I you have to leave it sit for a bit before you add water to the tank?!

some put it in while its filling... some put it in before... some put it in after its done... i dont think it really matters... i have well water i dont have to condition... but... if it were me i would put it in during the fill...

I do it while it is filling. About four seperate times. Pretty sure I over kill it, but its just declorinator and heavy metal w.e its called. It says it acts instantly, but I kind of doubt that. My fish have shown no adverse side affects to my method.

Fair enough, I kinda figured it would be added during or before but can't hurt to ask. :) I don't mind doing the pwcs on my 10 gal with a regular non-fancy gravel vac. I suppose once I get my 30 long setup I might reconsider. Thanks for clearing that up for me guys!

I used to carry the buckets for my 55gallon when I upgraded to a 90gallon I was like nuh-uh no way Jose. Then I went to eBay and purchased the Python with the 50 foot hose.

I couldn't see spending twice the money for something i could make cheaper. Just went to the local hardware store and got all the parts. I picked up a waterbed connector kit for about $5.50 got the clear vinyl hose for $0.22 a foot which i was able to customize the length to the 35 feet i needed. 25 was just shy and i didnt want to roll up an extra 15 feet of hose with the 50 ft kit. Then got the siphon vac tube from Big Al's for $5.
so i spent $19 for a 35 foot kit that Big Al's currently has the 25 foot kit on sale for $25.99 and the 50 foot kit is currently $44.99.

I just used mine the other day for the first time...it is SO worth $30, what a great deal. Using this will increase my enjoyment of the hobby and decrease the dread that builds over time in dealing with water changes. You really cant go wrong with a Python!

I have one. I used it about three time before I changed my substrate from CC to sand. I can see it's uses but not a great item for SW tanks.

The Python rocks....however, the only part that sucks on it is the white and green plastic turn valve "on and off switch". If your water pressure is high, it will crack and blow off the entire assembly and leave you hosing down the walls.

This product has kept me in the aquarium hobby.

I have one. I used it about three time before I changed my substrate from CC to sand. I can see it's uses but not a great item for SW tanks.
Wanna get rid of it? I would be more than willing to take it off your hands, and allow you to reclaim that "wasted" space under your tank! :)

I love mine. I only got the 25' model. I run it right out the window and hook it to the hose out back since its right below my window and about 12' max from any part of my tank.

Back
Top Bottom