Python Automatic Water Changer Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaAngelfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started using my new Python Automatic Water changer for my 36 gal; I'm super excited for it!

However, as I was using it, when I'm trying to refill my tank with water the connection of the python to the faucet started spraying everywhere! From all the YouTube tutorials I've watched, none of them mention this as being an issue. PXL_20220110_013126444.jpg
(It was much worse than this; I turned the sink back on low for a picture).

Any help is appreciated! If this ends up being a simple fix that just isn't popping out at me I'm going to be embarrassed haha :fish1:

I haven't used my Python to pump water into my tank yet. We did make the mistake of pumping water onto the floor once. If I remember correctly I was playing with the device that's attached to opposite end of what's attached to your faucet. It's about a quarter turn I think to reverse flow.

Last edited:
The python confuses me how can you fill your tank with it....isn't the water untreated? Do you drain then fill it and quick dose with prime or something similar.

I would check your threads and rubber washer inside sounds like loose fit from incorrect threading or no seal with rubber inside washer is my guess.

The python confuses me how can you fill your tank with it....isn't the water untreated? Do you drain then fill it and quick dose with prime or something similar.

I would check your threads and rubber washer inside sounds like loose fit from incorrect threading or no seal with rubber inside washer is my guess.
https://youtu.be/V3dhg5ylCnQ

You add water conditioner to the tank before you start refilling. Enough to treat the whole tank. Even if you are refilling with buckets this is the easiest way to add water conditioner rather than treating each individual bucket.

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/V3dhg5ylCnQ

You add water conditioner to the tank before you start refilling. Enough to treat the whole tank. Even if you are refilling with buckets this is the easiest way to add water conditioner rather than treating each individual bucket.

Here's one for you, AD. I'm going to use temperature-corrected tap water to refill my tank for the first time. If I remove, say, 40g of 125g I should add enough conditioner for the full 125g even though I've only removed 40g? Also, I'm currently using Novaqua PLUS. Is there a conditioner that you prefer?

Here's one for you, AD. I'm going to use temperature-corrected tap water to refill my tank for the first time. If I remove, say, 40g of 125g I should add enough conditioner for the full 125g even though I've only removed 40g? Also, I'm currently using Novaqua PLUS. Is there a conditioner that you prefer?
You should be able to treat for the amount you are adding, many people do that without issue. I have always treated for the whole tank to be safe.

I based my choice of water conditioner on cost/water change. My opinion is a water conditioner is a water conditioner and any bells and whistles are just a bonus. Based on that i went with Prime. API tap water conditioner (not stresscoat) is a similar cost per water change but no stores round here sell it except in the tiny 100mL bottles.

Cost per water change is around 3x higher with api stresscoat than prime or api tap water conditioner. Although prime is more expensive per mL of product its much more concentrated. 5mL of prime to treat 200 litres of water compared with 25mL of stresscoat to treat 200 litres. I used to use stresscoat, works fine as a water conditioner. Not noticed any detriment from not having the slimecoat additive. Saves me a few £s.

You're astonishingly detailed in your thinking on this subject AD, compared to me that is. :D I'm sure that I seem silly for not having used tap water directly to replenish after a water change. My issue was that my oldest fish, and now two of his tank mates, show stress quickly and glaringly. It isn't easy to see fish this orange suddenly explode in deep black streaks. Based on what I've been reading and hearing my Python, used properly, will make for larger and more productive water changes.

Based on your insights we're going to try Prime. Secondarily, a big WC will allow a test of my new heater too!

First 45g water change using the full "drain and fill" functionality of our python today. Simply put what a joy! It took perhaps 15-minutes to complete and so far my wet pets seem fine. The end of the connector that needs to be manipulated says "drain or fill" as an indication of what needs to be changed. It'll take some fiddling because the control ring isn't as simply as on/off. I added a full dose of prime when filling without apparent issues.

Considering what I've been reading lately, we're about to enjoy new levels of health in our water with far more frequent changes.

Good luck all! :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom