Python no spill. Getting the balance right.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recieved my python no spill a few days ago and it was too short!

Instead of sending it back and paying double the amount for too much i decided to add some hose and extend it myself. It works, dosent spill and saved me money!

Anyway... I was cleaning my gravel with it and doing a thorough job then i noticed how rapidly the water level drops.

Only thing is.. I dont want to add untreated water to my tank.
I should just top up the water level when it gets a bit low but..

1. I dont know what temp the water will be. And
2. Its unreated.

I thought that i just flick the switch and top upp the water and work out how much treatment is needed for the amount put back in. Although this seems a bit unnaccurate for my liking. :?

As for a pwc add some treatment to the tank before you put the water back in and you'll be fine. Good dechlorinator like Seachem Prime will treat your water on contact. You can test first how the water temp is and change it if necessary. A little bit of colder water doesn't harm your fish. In fact some fish even seem to like a cooler shower.

To just to off water that evaporated I don't use dechlorinator most times. If you want to use some with that small amount you can either put some dechlor in before or after you add the water. It won't really matter.

Oh right. And if the amount of treatment is slightly over or under the reccomended dose will it matter?

I do have a general idea of how much to put in because a 1/3 pwc takes about 3 buckets of water to fill the tank again.

A little extra prime will not hurt. Some people that use pythons for water chnges, add enough to dose the whole tank. I think you would have to use a lot of dechlor to hurt your tank.

That little difference doesn't matter. Like I said, I always top off without even adding anything. But if you want to be on the really safe side, you can add SLIGHTLY more, too. I don't think anybody really sits down and calculates the exact amount.

The water will be pretty cold. Thats my main worry.

It has to run off an outside tap (whilst i am fixing the inside one to fit)
and the water is cold. Especially this time of year in England when its roughly 0-10 degrees outside.

I wouldnt say the water is "ice cold" but its not a pleasant temp put it that way.

Im hoping my heater will heat it up quickly. Should i turn the heater up for about 5 minutes, then back to the regular temp i always have?

Im hoping my heater will heat it up quickly. Should i turn the heater up for about 5 minutes, then back to the regular temp i always have?
I'd say no. That would actually be a worse shock to the fish to get them warm and toasty and then, bam, cold water. One option is to turn the faucet to a trickle and let it take 15+ minutes to refill a couple gallons...

You could empty with the python and fill with buckets until you can hook the python up to the inside tap. Just a thought.

Satsumas said:
That probably wouldn't actually make the water heat up faster[i/]. Aquarium heaters are like house ones -- turning the thermostat up higher doesn't make the place heat up faster, since heaters generally only have two settings (on and off). All that turning up the thermostat higher than you want the temperature to be does is make the heater stay on until the air/water gets hotter than you wanted it to.

Back
Top Bottom