Python Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwohlge1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of purchasing a Python, but I had a quick question about using it to add the water back.

I have a 25g and I use Prime to condition my water. I currently leave my fish in when doing water changes. So if I do a 30% pwc that is 8 gallons.

I would turn off my filter. So would I then add 8 drops of Prime to the tank, check my tap water temparture, then fill?

I just don't want to mess up my biofilter or hurt my fish.

What I do is I use a big container. Fill it up with the "new" water. Treat with water conditioner(I use Prime) then I use a water pump to siphon it out of the container to the tank. That is for me to make sure that there is no chlorine or chloramine in the water that might harm the fishes.

Dwohlge1 said:
I am thinking of purchasing a Python, but I had a quick question about using it to add the water back.

I have a 25g and I use Prime to condition my water. I currently leave my fish in when doing water changes. So if I do a 30% pwc that is 8 gallons.

I would turn off my filter. So would I then add 8 drops of Prime to the tank, check my tap water temparture, then fill?

I think it's 2 drops of prime per gallon. Yes, make sure that the treated tap water is the same temp as your tank water . IMO, if you'll just do an 8gallon water change, I'll just use a gravel vacuum and a 5 gallon bucket. It's all up to you. You can still use a python.

Does it remove the chlorine that quickly? It won't have any negative effects on the tank?

Many members do exactly what you described and see no ill effects whatsoever.

Last edited:
I do the same... drain, temp match, add prime, fill. But... 8 drops isn't going to cut it. It would probably just be easier to add most of a cap full... you gotta use prime (or any de-chlor for that matter) for the volume of the tank, not the amount of water youre adding.

So 25 gal would be 50 drops in 17 gallons. Which is 3 drops per gallon. You can dose Prime up to five and be safe right?

Be a bit more generous with the Prime and you shouldn't have a problem. Use a full 1mL just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom