Python siphon question(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkillur

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, so I'm super excited to buy a python, but I have the following questions:

1: Does the water come out the end of the tube where it connects to the faucet (I.E. in a sink?) or does it empty out of another tube?

2: I'm guessing that the water goes back in the tube that the python "sucks" from. Isn't that kind of risky putting water back in without treating it first?

3: How do you know how much water to treat? I know that might be a noob question or something, but I still do it in the 5 gallon bucket method...

pkillur said:
1: Does the water come out the end of the tube where it connects to the faucet (I.E. in a sink?) or does it empty out of another tube?
2: I'm guessing that the water goes back in the tube that the python "sucks" from. Isn't that kind of risky putting water back in without treating it first?
3: How do you know how much water to treat? I know that might be a noob question or something, but I still do it in the 5 gallon bucket method...

1. out the tube into the sink.
2. not really. you can treat as soon as you finish the W/C.
3. should be on the directions of the bottle. if you are doing a 10% change you would not full dose (if dose at all). i would dose with a 35% and higher W/C.

Hi, the water comes out directly into the sink.
You can treat while refilling, most people treat for the whole tank rather than just the portion removed.

I treat for the entire volume of the tank. If your water source uses chloramines, always treat even if it is a 5% change. I pour the dechlorinator into the water stream when I first start refilling.

Fishyfanatic said:
I treat for the entire volume of the tank. If your water source uses chloramines, always treat even if it is a 5% change. I pour the dechlorinator into the water stream when I first start refilling.

So, If on my 72 gallon tank, I would put in 7 ml of Prime (which would treat 70 ish gallons)? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and it uses gnarly chloramines. I always treat each 5 gallon bucket I currently use, but the python looks a lot simpler. I usually do 15 to 20 gallons, which is somewhere between 20-30%, but I guess I'm confused because how do you know? I guess I could closely figure it out by gallon X vertical inches (the math is funky because it's a bowfront...)

Just measure the height and divide by 4. I made 3 dots on the side at the back with a sharpie. That will show a 25,50,75 %. It wont be exact because of gravel and ornaments but its close enough.

When treating for the entire volume of the tank it doesn't matter how much water has been replaced. I just look at the tank and visualy divide the tank in half and do the water change to that point.

python

Fishyfanatic said:
When treating for the entire volume of the tank it doesn't matter how much water has been replaced. I just look at the tank and visualy divide the tank in half and do the water change to that point.

Ok, I'm sure I'm going to seem dense here, but what I think you're saying is always do a 50 % wc and treat for 1/2 volume (36ish gallon dose)?

If you do a 50% water change still dose as if you were doing a 100% change. If you use a product like Prime, you won't be using much more dechlorinator anyway.

Back
Top Bottom