Python syphon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have heard great reviews about this product and was wondering how it works and if it would suit my needs. I have a 30 gallon in my bedroom and a full bathroom that's about 20 ft away. Could it work?

+1

I love my python! You just hook it up on your faucet. There is a switch (twist) to put it either drain or fill. I drain the water, put dechlorinator for the whole tank (in my case 3 mL of Prime for my 29 gallon) and then fill it up.

I would recommend investigating your bathroom faucet first.

1. The mesh thing (aerator) that screws into the faucet needs to be able to be unscrewed, otherwise you're going to need some additional parts to be able to attach the python.

2. The adapter for the Python is about 7 inches tall, so if you're going to be running it from a sink then the sink cannot be very shallow or the Python output wont fit into it.

+1 on Vircomore's post

I can't use my kitchen sink because there are no threads on it whatsoever. It has that hose shower thing. So I use my bathroom sink. You need to take off the aerator/filter attachment to expose the threads. Some faucet has outside threads and some has inside threads and both will be accomodated by the python.

Your sink should also be deep enough that you can fit the attachment. My sink can fit the attachment but when draining I have to watch the water going down the sink because its not deep enough that if the water is flowing too fast, it can overflow.

Here is what I do when I PWC:

1. Attach Python to the faucet.
2. Put the syphon end in the aquarium (make sure the switch is to drain and that the syphone is closed [there is a switch to turn suction on/off]). This is also the time I turn everything (heater, filter, etc.) off.
3. Turn water on water all the way.
4. Switch suction to on and start vacuuming gravel. Drain water (I do 50%).
5. Turn suction switch off and faucet water off.
6. Put in dechlorinator for the whole tank volume (e.g. mines is 29 gallon so I put enough dechlorinator for a 29 gallon)
7. Turn faucet water on and adjust water temp to temp of aquarium water (I use my hand to tell).
8. Twist the python attachment to FILL.
9. Turn suction (in this case opening for filling of water) on. And fill it up.
10. Once filled up, I turn faucet water off, detach the python and put it away.
11. Turn everything back on and make sure your filter is not running dry.

So dechlor doesn't need to be added to the water going in, just the tank? I didn't know that. And how would you do saltwater?

You could use the Python to take water OUT of a saltwater tank - but to add water back to a saltwater tank you'll need to pre-mix the salt into the water before it reaches the tank, so there's no way to use the Python unless you assemble your own pump setup that you can screw the python to.

The Python is designed to run water from out of your faucet, which is no good for Saltwater tanks.

... Crap. I feel bad for the people with 200 gal aquariums that are saltwater. That is a lot of bucket hauling.

Well, the trade-off is that Saltwater tanks can be fitted with a combination of a Sump, Refugium, and/or Protein Skimmer - combined with all that Live Rock - that eats up Nitrates.

So a well-operated Saltwater tank usually won't need water changes as often as a comparable Freshwater tank.

How many times do you think it would need? I will have a sump, live rock, protein skimmer, and a refugium in a 30 gal with a 10 gal sump.

It comes in 25 and 50 foot lengths. Its the best $30 youll spend I promise. LOL

Hi carey,

Where have you found this for $30? I've been looking online and only see it for around $70.

Thanks,

Yep, I got mine from amazon too. Its the same as above, the aqueon changer. Same concept but cheaper. :)

i use this device handy little tool i just hook to my kitchen sink and take the water out of my sump for my pwc and pour the premixed ro water back in

Thanks for this info. Was just doing a forum search looking at whether or not to get a Python and it looks like I've got my answer.

So, does the Aqueon come with instructions ! LOL! Because I'm not sure I followed all that...(especially the part about turning on the water when you siphon to clean??) I think I read that wrong.

ETA: LOL! Just saw a video. I get it now.

Back
Top Bottom