Q. How to detect/neutralize toxins in stones cut with petroleum-lubricated saws?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LHotelUmbraQua

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
TOXIN TEST: What toxin test would you perform to make sure these rocks/stones are safe?

I am considering using a few colorful fish-safe Jasper, agate, and Amethyst stones in my hardscape. I will double verify each stone type.

HOWEVER, in the cutting process, a petroleum-based Ultra Utility Tractor Fluid is used to lubricate the metal hand saw.

The rock seller-cutters have their own thorough post-cutting rock-washing process, including soaking rocks in hot water, with Dawn dusk soap and Oxy Clean. They do this several times over a few days.

I would also thoroughly rinse/soak them, and try dechlorondtor or other purifying or neutralizing products.

I am also writing to chemists and geologists who specialize in aquariums (feel free to do the same).

What are your thoughts? Below is:

A BIT MORE ON THE Tractor Fluid:

Racing Lubricants VP2040114 Ultra J20A Plus Utility Tractor Fluid is formulated from highly refined base stocks and robust additive technology for [vintage] farm tractors. …Tractor utility fluid is engineered for lubrication of drives, brakes, power steering and hydraulic systems. Its viscosity is comparable to a SAE 20 crankcase fluid or an ISO 68 industrial oil for general purpose applications.

It is made up of advanced detergents to reduce sludge and deposit formation. Robust anti-wear additives protect critical system components; formulated with highly refined base oils to resist oxidation and thermal break-down to maximize fluid life.

Attachments

• A5DCEE28-817A-4191-8DD7-8E22D10D1124.jpg
    A5DCEE28-817A-4191-8DD7-8E22D10D1124.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 21B491E7-FD6E-42A9-92AF-D74772EDEE5E.jpg
    21B491E7-FD6E-42A9-92AF-D74772EDEE5E.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 7D77BED5-CF7B-4F15-9466-75A63BC1F449.jpeg
    7D77BED5-CF7B-4F15-9466-75A63BC1F449.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 20
There are not very many sites I can go off of sorry, but if they are washed and not terribly large then it might be fine because of the small amounts of chemicals. I hope this helps in some way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some stones are more porous so soaking in dawn dish soap and oxyclean would be some cause for concern to me. More so the Oxyclean.

An active ingredient is H2O2, Hydrogen Peroxide. The grocery store or pharmacy will usually have the 3% Peroxide in the fist aid section where I live. Not meaning the hair bleaching 20% type.)

All the additional chemicals in the oxyclean would prevent me from using it for rocks which would go in a tank.

One way to try and help that would be to soak the stone in water and rinse well several times after that treatment from the cutter, but then also soak in Prime water conditioner. Which can neutralize heavy metals.

A possible way to test if you got these cleaned up well enough would be to test it on Ghost shrimp or some feeder fish.

Realizing that may be against some people's feelings of caring for animals (fish or shrimp).

Also often feeder fish are sickly anyway and then may not be the ideal test subjects, since they could die off anyhow not long after buying them. Invertabrates like shrimp especially, could die more easily from a contaminant like that. They are very sensitive to pollution, heavy metals and water quality.

But if they live, then you would have some sense of comfort that other tank mates might live.

I’ll narrow my request to the following info:

1. Specific tests, by name — kits or other home methods;

2. ...that test water only with no fish (not on live fish to see if they die);

3. ...for substances known to be toxic to freshwater fish or aquatic plants;

4. in a] rocks and minerals in the attached photos;

b] or sold by eBay seller utahs-goldfever-dealer;

c] or in “Ultra J20A Utility Tractor Fluid,” a petroleum-based lubricant, or equivalent products.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20220305_043702.jpg
    IMG_20220305_043702.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220305_043015.jpg
    IMG_20220305_043015.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220305_042926.jpg
    IMG_20220305_042926.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220305_042832.jpg
    IMG_20220305_042832.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Don't feel bad, but no, this does not help in any way, lol. I don't need to know if they might be fine, but if they are fine. A small amount of chemicals or metals can kill an entire tank.

There are not very many sites I can go off of sorry, but if they are washed and not terribly large then it might be fine because of the small amounts of chemicals. I hope this helps in some way!

I do have a scientific way of testing, it includes putting in enough water to submerge the rock in, then try to test for chemicals around a week or so every day. if there are bad results then you could choose not to use it or to repurpose it but I am also assuming you have access to that type of test (if there are any you could get your hands on) you could also try if it's porous stone some water it in wait, then try to flush the other chemicals in ion exchange resin which is not too hard to get and can be reused if I remember right ( it is also useful for making safe aquarium water)
l also think I remembered someone saying to use water primer but I will also make a couple articles on your specific requests

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom