QT setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim692

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking for some guidance on setting up a QT tank for a freshwater community. I would like to add fish to the current tank, and understand the value of using a QT to avoid problems with the new fish.

So, I would like to know what size tank/container you feel works well for this purpose and what type/size of filtration you pair with the tank. If there are any other items or methods used for this tank, I would appreciate that information also.

Thanks.

Well it all depends on the size of the tank. Usualy recommended tank size is about 5 gallons per inch of fish (since they are going to be there for a while). As for special equipment, all that I use is an air stone and heater, and do frequent water changes at least every other day. No rocks, gravel, decoration, frilter, nothing. Just less stuff to get contaminated if the fish is sick. But, I do have salt water tanks not fresh, but I am sure that the principles are the same. You don't even realy need good lighting, just enough that you can see the fish and be able to tell if it is healthy. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying to keep it in the dark, but no extra light is nesecary if there is enough light in the room. I do have a canopy on mine incase I do need the light though.

p.s. congrats on doing it the proper way. Many people overlook or don't even know about QT tanks.

A 20g will usually suffice, but depending on how many fish you plan to quarantine at the same time. A QT should have a seeded sponge filter or hob filter or both, a heater (possibly with protective sheath), and pvc for hiding. You can use plastic plants for hiding, but some may easily coat with debris.

Back
Top Bottom