Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

selvan777

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI,

The below measures 9.2"L x 5.4"W x 6.2"T and holds about 1.33 gallons. What do you think of it as a QT tank to house just 1 or 2 new fish no more than 1" long each at most for at least for 2 weeks to observe for the unwanted before joining the community. Perhaps even a Hosp tank.

I'd hang it inside, plant it with Anacharis clippings floating & weighted down, fill it with new water using API TWC, add a couple drops of Nutrafin Cycle, & vacuum the bottom while doing 75% a pwc daily.

I've searched around in here and the smallest one I read about being used was a 2.5 gallon. But I really don't want to have to deal with a second tank, heater & hob in the shelf with it's bio bag in the main ready to go. Unless, of course, I have to. Like quarantining new fish definitely is!

Is it doable? I think of Killer Whale's in amusement parks for comparison?

11gekqODplL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

Definitely not advisable. The fish need some room to swim not to mention the parameters are going to change to rapidly. Get your self a 10 gallon and call it a day.

Agree that the size is to small.
The qt tank doesn't have to be a tank. A simple rubbermaid tote or similar would be fine.

Agree that the size is to small.
The qt tank doesn't have to be a tank. A simple rubbermaid tote or similar would be fine.

True, but make sure it's food safe or you risk chemicals leaching from the plastic into the water.

Will keeping the biomax bag on the substrate of the main aquarium be sufficient to seed and keep active after a month? I have no space in the HOB.

I have an AquaClear 20, will it provide enough surface disturbance for air or will I need to bleed off my existing air pump temporarily? Not a big deal.

I'll need a separate heater and I'll use black paper under the aquarium to substitute the lack of gravel. Hopefully I'll find a deal on Craigslist soon with a lid and light hood.

Thanks

Well, I don't like what I see out there for 10 gallon tank setups. I can get it for $30 (not very cheap) and it comes with a black plastic lid where 2 incandescent bulbs are exposed to any water evaporation. I don't like that at all. I could go with a bare tank for $14 but a lid with a covered fluorescent bulb runs $30. All this excluding the heater I'll also need.

What if I use one of the 5gal buckets I use for water changes? Would that be enough space? Then all I'd need is the heater. The only draw back is that I can't really observe the fish but only from the top.

What about the 2 questions in the previous post guys/gals?

Thanks

those things rock i have a bunch of them but not for a qt.

check craigslist for a cheap 10 gallon set up.

ac 20 is fine for a 10 gallon. what i would do is run the ac 20 on the 20 gallon until you need it. when it comes time to qt a sick/new fish you just move the filter over.

i wouldnt use a bucket.

Okay, the bucket's out than.

Have you ever had a bulb blow over the water?
Have you run yours with either an hob or air stone?

I'm worried it will blow if I use it with the ac20 and/or just an air stone, they both create evaporation in my tank.

i have one of those hood/light combos with the incandescent bulbs in it... it has a plexi-glass cover that keeps moisture from getting on the bulbs... i dont run air stones so i couldnt tell you about that, but i never had any issues with moisture just running a hob

Umm, maybe it's just the splashing from the hob that I see. I had a look at one on Craigslist and, just like the ones on the store shelves, the bulbs are unprotected.

I think I'll just get a bare 10 gallon and buy/cut plexiglas to fit. Placing it next to the main, I'll just do without a light.

Okay, there's a glass 5 gallon with a filter and fluorescent light hood and bulb for just $10.

will that do?

Anther thing you could do is put an ad on craigslist for what you are looking for.

I suppose I could place a wanted ad, will do.

The air stone in my main 20 long is just for looks. The endler's enjoy playing in the 2 2" stones at the rear (I may move them to the front) and, if I ever do get a Betta, he will too I think. And I use the other 2" stone under the sunken ship with a very slow release so a stream of 4 or 5 large bubbles seep out every 10 seconds or so.

Okay, the bucket's out than.

Have you ever had a bulb blow over the water?
Have you run yours with either an hob or air stone?

I'm worried it will blow if I use it with the ac20 and/or just an air stone, they both create evaporation in my tank.
anything will evaporate but in a qt you tend to be doing water changes more often. i left a 10 gallon set up i been using for photos for 2 weeks came back and only 1 inch of water dropped.... when you are not using the qt keep it empty.

Thanks for all the input.

Re: the air stone, I guess I went off topic. With the qt, I don't need an air stone but like mgamer said evaporation happens regardless anyway.

Keeping the qt empty is my plan. I'll keep the extra biomax bag in the main tanks filter and when I need the qt, I'll use it in the shelved hob and heater after filling it with conditioned tap water at the correct temp.

Another reason I'm trying to avoid the incandescent bulbs is the added costs compared to the fluorescent.

Back
Top Bottom