Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faerykisses

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All.

I just bought a QT (10 gal.) to go along with my 55 gal. tank. The QT came with every thing included (pump, filter). I am not sure as to whether I should keep the QT up and running and let it cycle like a regular tank (I bought some small pieces of live rock for it, they are currently in my 55 gal.) or if I should just set it up for when I need it. I guess my question is do you keep your QT tank running or just use it when needed. I don't plan on adding any livestock soon, but if I do I want to be able to use my QT tank before I put any livestock into my 55 gal. I have been having problems with my LFS and the livestock I buy from them. I read that the QT should be broken down after each use. Which method do you guys use personally??? Thanks!

I only hook it up when needed. I do not use any LR...I just keep a small sponge in the overflow for some media. I also just use the tank water from water changes.

since you are starting a new tank, i would leave the QT up for the entire time you are stocking your tank. as you get fish, you can put them in QT, and when they are moved to the main, you cna get another fish to put in the QT. once you are done with your initial stocking of your tank, then you can break down the QT and only set it up when you are in need of a QT or hospital tank.

one thing to remember is that if you decide to put live rock in the QT, then you shouldnt transfer it to the main tank. especially if you medicate in the QT. i keep a few small pieces of branch rock in my QT, in addition to some PVC pipes. the rock should keep the bioloogical filtration even if i change out filter pads, or clean the pvc.

~mike

Back
Top Bottom