question about power heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefvettech

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 g reef set up, just bought 2 new power heads for water movement and current. My question is whether or not to run the airline to them. My LFS said no need to, but I want to make sure i'm introducing enough oxygen.

I believe (someone please correct me if wrong as i am still a little new) that if you want to avoid the small air bubbles by connecting the tube you could point one or both of the PH's to break the water surface and that would introduce enough o2 into the tank. I am not sure if combined flow rate of the pumps have anything to do with o2 introduction but from my reading your total GPH of the PH's should be at least 10x your tank size (I think maybe as high as 20x). I am sure someone will tell you different if I am wrong). Hope this helps. :)

Don't do this. Introducing bubbles like this can potentially do very negative things to your PH and ORP. There is no need to use the 'venturi' aeration with a marine tank that has proper water movement. Unless your 2 powerheads are *way* undersized they should do the job nice in a 55g. There are lots of articles online that discuss gas exchange you may want to check into. One of the most common suggestions is to remove the top from your tank if you use one. If I get a chance I will post a couple links.

Peace.

As PC said, if you have a glass or other top on your tank remove it. You also want to make sure that the surface of the water in the tank is rippled not smooth. The surface is where the gas exchange takes place. If the surface is smooth point a powerhead or two slightly towards the surface to break the surface tension and create a rippled effect.

Back
Top Bottom