Question about the watts per gallon formula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
When the recommendation of say 3-6 watts per gallon are calculated is the resulting wattage as in incandescent (true) wattage or fluorescent wattage? I ask this because a 16 watt fluorescent bulb's output is equal to a 60 watt incandescent lamp. There is huge difference between a 54 watt fluorescent and a 50 watt incandescent lamp.

Watts are irrelevant if the spectrum is wrong.

lol HN if you want to get into details also.... there is a difference between reg fluorescent which the wpg was talking about vs CF or T5 also.

There are way too many options (CF, PC, T5, MH) and no direct correlations to decide on what a given WPG recommendation should be. In a FOWLR, it won't really matter. If you want to go reef Inferno (and everyone besides MG does), it's best to research type and spectrum now, save up and get the one you will ultimately want / need for the animals you want to keep. Upgrades get expensive! Trust me! lol

Now lumens and reflectivity are very relevant.

Did I mention that I HATE lighting and math?

fluorescent..... no one uses incandescent....
I understand that nobody uses incandescent lamps but that is the basis in which all fluorescent output is compared to. is it possible to answer the question asked?

Keith, Unfortunately I don't think the question can really be answered as posed. It depends on type, color, lumens, etc. CCapt and Melosu have posted in someone's thread here and have really illuminated (pun intended) the amount of variants.

There are way too many options (CF, PC, T5, MH) and no direct correlations to decide on what a given WPG recommendation should be. In a FOWLR, it won't really matter. If you want to go reef Inferno (and everyone besides MG does), it's best to research type and spectrum now, save up and get the one you will ultimately want / need for the animals you want to keep. Upgrades get expensive! Trust me! lol

Do you have to use MH or can achieve the same results with T-5HO or t-12VHO?

So what your saying is i can use a ten watt bulb as long as the spectrum is correct?
with the wrong spectrum no how many watts there is would be irrelevant. is what i got from HN post. dont know sw so i can only talk about basics.

So what your saying is i can use a ten watt bulb as long as the spectrum is correct?:rolleyes:

Yes. A 10W 10K bulb will grow any coral you want. One inch tall in a 2 inch tall 3G tank. The point is that there is more to consider than a simple WPG formula. ;)

This is why I'm asking so i can only do this one time. I will build it with all the necessary flexibility needed, but i can't do so until i get the answers I'm seeking.

Do you have to use MH or can achieve the same results with T-5HO or t-12VHO?

You don't have to use anything specific. There are a thousand different variables and therefor as many possible solutions. What exact application are you asking about? That will narrow down the answers a little maybe.

with the wrong spectrum no how many watts there is would be irrelevant. is what i got from HN post. dont know sw so i can only talk about basics.
If wattage doesn't matter then i can get a 50 watt spectrum correct lamp???? That's insanity and most definitely not correct, it's combination of both not one being more important then the other.

If wattage doesn't matter then i can get a 50 watt spectrum correct lamp???? That's insanity and most definitely not correct, it's combination of both not one being more important then the other.
watts is a measure of how much energy is used has nothing to do about how much light its putting out.

thats why you can have the same watts but depending on what kind and how good of reflectors have different amount of light into the tank.

T5ho>CF>T8>t12

Yes. A 10W 10K bulb will grow any coral you want. One inch tall in a 2 inch tall 3G tank. The point is that there is more to consider than a simple WPG formula. ;)
If I'm not mistaken the question was about what type of wattage the wattage per gallon formula follows (Fluorescent or Incandescent). By the way, this is going to be built for a 120 gal Tank, i don't think the 10 watt bulb will work to well in this application.

Back
Top Bottom