Question on Hydrometer usage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ragunnaath

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I'm in the process of converting my FW tank to a SW (FOWLR).

I bought a Hydrometer as part of the equipment list, however I notice its mentioned that the Hydrometer is suitable only for water temp upto 25 degree celcius.

My tank temp reads more than that on an average (about 30 degree). How do I use the hydrometer with this temp of water?

I dont intend to use a chiller initially as its way too expensive here and I have seen many of the LFS stock SW fish without a chiller setup. So, I hoping to be successfull in maintaining a SW without a chiller.

Now, back to my question. Will I be able to use the hydrometer in my tank or is there a different hydrometer meant to read the Salinity and SG at higher water temp?:confused:

Thanks!

Ragu

i would say 30c is a bit hot. you might try using a fan across the water surface. a 12" fan is usually enough to bring the temp down a couple degrees.
that said, the hydrometer should give you an accurate reading in that temp, however, they are very inaccurate. you should invest in a refractometer. a few dollars more but a much better tool for measuring specific gravity.

Thanks Doug!
I have been reading other recommendations on a refractometer as well, and I think thats what I'm going to get after returning the Hydrometer back to the store (Lucky I dint open the packing!).
With respect to the fan installation, I will surely consider it. But I'm not sure if they would make too much noise. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Ragu

well, that depends on the fan you choose i suppose. they should have them on display at walmart or wherever and you can listen to them before purchasing.

I like Vornado fans. I use the smaller ones for my refugium and they work great--practically silent. You can get some on eBay for pretty good price, just make sure to google which model you want first.

Back
Top Bottom