Question regarding tank building + lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if anyone has tried fixing glass together with aquarium grade silicone to build a tank, I know it can be done but I was wondering how difficult it is, only I'm not happy with the 15" height of my current tank, I was thinking of building a 20" cube tank (20x20x22H) as I can get glass cut pretty cheap and I could get it drilled at the start to fix some of the problems with my current un-drilled tank, it would also mean I could upgrade my lighting from fluorescent to halide.

on that subject, I already have a ballast, ignitor, capacitors capable of lighting 70 to 400w, what bulb would be more suited to a soft coral/anemone reef? I was thinking of a 250w 20'000k, any opinions on this would great, (note this will be my only form of lighting at least for the moment).

cheers :D

Building a tank is quite simple. Essentially, you lay down the silicone, and place the glass, holding it with masking tape while it sets up. If you do a search, you can find numerous DIY articles on doing it, some with photos. I would think a tank that small would only need 1/4" glass, and no bracing, other than, perhaps alongthe sides to hold a glass top, if you were going to use one. The first tank I ever built was close to that size. It is still in use 40 years later.

Back
Top Bottom