quick questions on python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazdaman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I'm finally smartening up and buying a Python. Just a couple easy questions here. My tank sits 20' from the sink I'll be using. Is it 25' plus the gravel vac and tube for cleaning or is it 25' from sink to end of gravel vac? I have heard people say you need to deose for entire tank volume with dechlorinator, true? Any tips on setting up for the first time would be nice, little things to watch out for... Thanks in advance.

I believe it is 25' of tubing, but I'd have to measure to be sure. If there is a possibility that you may move the tank in the future, you may want to just get the 50'. But if you are happy with where it is at now, the 25' should be sufficient.

When dosing with the python, I use enough Prime for the entire tank. It's cheap enough that it's not a big deal. What brand are you using?

prime for sure. That won't change and neither will the location. I'm just wondering cause it is 20' to the one side and that would make it 24' to the other side. Will I have enough slack to reach all the bottom corners is the real question I guess. is it 25' of tubing plus some extra lenth of tubing to the gravel vac or 25' from faucet to gravel vac.

What length of gravel vac is included?

I purchased the Lee's brand so I can not say for sure how long of an attachment comes with the Python. Ours came with a short tube, maybe 12", so we purchased a longer tube. If after purchase you realize that the hose is not long enough, Python sells an extension for an extra 10'.

One thing that is great about Prime is that it becomes inactive after 24 hours. The extra dechlor that is in the water will not build up.

One thing to think about is the distance from the floor to the sink and the floor to the tank. It sounds to me that you would be pretty much just stretching it barely there with the hose hanging in the air. I don't really see how that would work for you because as you try to vac, you would be having to keep the weight of the hose in the air and such.. I'd opt for the 50' or just get the extra 10' extension.

kindof the thing I was thinking of aswell. I guess I'll just price out the differences . Thanks

try checking out the prices online because around here the store prices are usually a lot less than the prices online even with shipping.

I would go broke attempting to purchase pythons from the LFS. Around here, they charge almost 90% more than online sources. The 50' that FF referenced is $75.

I actually just got my 50' python from big als on sale for $33 i think ... i thought it was a good deal ... maybe look into it .. HTH

Ray

Back
Top Bottom