Quietist Air Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinthos26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking to buy an air pump but would like a quiet one because my tank is in my bedroom. Was wondering if I could get some recommendations from people with more years of experience in the hobby?

I don't have years but about 6 months with a tetra whisper and I can assure you it's bedroom worthy! Barely noticeable!

I don't have years but about 6 months with a tetra whisper and I can assure you it's bedroom worthy! Barely noticeable!

I keep hearing mixed reviews about the Tetra whisper. some say it's quiet and some say it's loud =/
But I guess the price is good enough for me to try it myself =]

Sorry, I should really narrow my review, the 10 is virtually unnoticeable while the 20 is barely noticeable.. I have not used larger models..

I got one at petsmart... it looks like a dome in a way. SUPER quiet. i personally love it. its navy and has 3 sizes. hope this helps

Another mixed review of tetra whisper to further confuse you : I have several, the one I run at work is completely inaudible (probably has to do with carpet here at work), the one I'm running at home took quite a bit of fiddling to quiet down to acceptable levels.

Most air pumps I have tried are quiet unless you lean them against something. Then they can rattle pretty loud. If you ever get frustrated over the racket, just wrap it with a rag.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've found that most airpumps get noisy from the back pressure. You need to have an extra air outlet in your gang valve or airline to release this pressure. It not only quiets down the pump but it also makes the pump last longer. Anyone hear of a hush 3 airpump? I still have one working and I'm using it still. ;)

Hope this helps

I've found that most airpumps get noisy from the back pressure. You need to have an extra air outlet in your gang valve or airline to release this pressure. It not only quiets down the pump but it also makes the pump last longer. Anyone hear of a hush 3 airpump? I still have one working and I'm using it still. ;)

Hope this helps

Plus 1 - a cloth mat may also help.

Back
Top Bottom