R/O storage tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
The storage tank I have for my R/O has no pressure. The system is an older model, and the box was pretty beat up probly dropped at some point. So I dont want to mess with this tank.

I need to buy a new one and my question is, does it matter what size tank I get?

There are alot to choose from out there and I just want to make sure they are universal. But I would like to increase the size a bit if I could.
Any one know about this?

I find that my own tank at 3 gallons capacity is a handy size. It can fit on one of the shelves under my kitchen counter so I placed it in that corner where you can never get at things anyway. It will freely discharge into a container for about 2 1/2 gallons after it is completely filled, the rest being the compressed air that is providing the motive force. A larger tank would not fit there and would need to be placed somewhere that I could actually use the space for storage. If you want more storage for water, you could always get two of those small tanks and put one on the top with the other on the bottom shelf.

So I could get a bigger tank and not have to worry about pressure and that stuff? Just really if I have the space?

Did you try pumping air into the storage tank? That's what gives it the prerssure. About every 2 yrs I have to take my tank out, empty the water and recharge the air.

I have a 100 gpd RO unit, fed intoa 100g cylindrical holding tank then plumbed down into a 45g holding tank(plastic water tanks), then I fill up the tanks or sumps. The 45g is treated with the seachem stuff I need for Gh and KH and heated.

3g holding tank is nothing. what size tank are you using this for?

3g holding tank is nothing. what size tank are you using this for?
Maybe you are thinking about something different, but if you have an RO unit that has a faucet for dispensing RO water at the sink, that water is held in a pressurized 3g tank. The RO unit processes the water and stores it in the tank. When you turn on the faucet, you get water from the pressurized tank. If you didn't have a tank, the water would drip out of the faucet.

I think its a 4g tank not a 3g that I have. Yes or it would stop producing. I do believe my unit produces on demand.

I do have a 4g for my drinking water and ice maker yes.

I thought this was holding for fish tank use. hence why I threw out the big ones. nothing like not having enough water to fill a tank for 8 days lol

I dont think it matters what size tank you get. My 25gpd I bought I purchased a 4g holding tank, Since moving up size of RO units I got a 14g holding tank that came with it. I think space is the only concern with these potable holding tanks. 14g wont fit between my joists where the 4g one does.(its suspended from the ceiling, RO is in basement, faucet/ice is upstairs.)

nice. mine is in my bathroom, which is now the mixing room. 14 gallons would make life easier since I am no longer allowed to leave the faucet running to fill a 5 gal bucket. It takes two trips.

I got my unit from US water. They have the bigger tanks there too. Its not that big really, maybe about as tall as a propane tank for a BBQ and about 6" wider.

How do you get the water out of the tank?

I cant seem to get mine out. When its all hooked up, the tank fills and the auto shut off valve stops the water. Then when I turn on the faucet nothing comes out.

Without pressure in the tank I cant push the water out. Now I got a full tank siting in my basement collecting dust. I rigged up a 5 gal bucket with a spicket on the bottom and a connector for the 3/4" tube going thought the lid. I hook the storage tank line from the RO to the connector and the bucket fills. It works good cause the systm is slow, so I can leave it on while Im at work and not worry about the bucket overflowing.

Having the faucet would be soo much better though. I have a 46 gal reef with a 20 gal sump. I need about a half gal a day for evaporation and around 20 gal for monthly water change. The on demand feature would be perfect for daily fills due to evaporation, and all I need to do is plan water changes and store the water till I have what I need. Plus I could fill up a cup for drinking every now and then.

I think I need a new tank, but I wanted to be able to store a little bit more water. Does anyone know where to get new storage tanks?

To get the water out of the tank, disconnect the tank from the system and take it outside. Open up the valve on top, hook up an airtank to the air valve (I have a little 5g portable airtank) and blow the water out of the top. Once the water is out, you want between 7-10 psi of air in the tank. You can pump it up higher to get the water out, but then drop it back down.

I got my system from Filter Direct/Water General. They sell tanks seperately but I have no idea if the price is good or not.
FilterDirect.com Whole House Water Filters, Water Booster Pump Choices

Last edited:
The tank has no valve, didnt come with one. Can I pump water out without a valve?

I think Im going to get a new one. All the ones Ive seen have a ball valve that comes with the tank, or is added for a fee. But just to make sure, I can get a bigger tank right?

The size of the holding tanks doesnt really matter as long as you have space for it. No you need the valve, if a line breaks loose believe me that ball valve comes in VERY handy.

Thank you whitedevil. I can see how a ball valve is very handy. Now it says that when I change the membrane filter I should sanitize the system, with bleach. Does this mean I can't use the water for my tank?

Back
Top Bottom