Really Loud Elite 802

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessibell

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I bought an elite 802 air pump yesterday (I was looking for a smaller one but of course, they had a zillion 802s and nothing more. Thank you walmart.) I am only using one of the ports, and have the other port plugged off with a piece of tube with a valve on it.

It works great but the thing is so loud that it drowns out the sound of all the other equiptment put together. I know I will not be able to sleep with this thing on. Any ideas on how to buffer the sound? I tried putting it in a showbox wrapped in a large towel, and it makes it bearable, but I'm worried it might get hot and either overheat or cause a fire. Would insulation work better as a sound buffer?

In my dorm room last year I used to turn the pumps off at night so I could sleep and turn them back on in the morning. The tank I have now is a 5 gallon and I just added a home-made sponge filter to it. It already has a HOB but I want to switch them eventually (after the tank finishes cycling)

So I bought a 2 port air pump the other day, Elite 802. It is so loud that it vibrates my head!

I have tried putting it in a showbox wrapped in a towel, which makes it more bearable, but I'm worried it might overheat or be a fire hazzard. Any thoughts?

Any ideas how I could buffer the sound even more? Like using insulation instead of a towel?

The second outlet you say you have it closed off with a valve. That is most likely making the racket. Take the valve off and just let it pump air to no ware.

In the past when I used pumps and I had one like you do and I would wrap it in a towel. Air could still get in an pumped to my tank but it seemed to help.

Well, I went to the LFS and got an aquaclear 10, and it is MUCH quieter. I can't hardly even hear it:) the 802 of going back to the store.

Back
Top Bottom