Recommend me a canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrzap

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to add some extra filtration on my 29 gal. It is on an aquarium stand with a cabinet under it for hiding this type of thing.

What model would you say is the quietest to operate and has a powerful enough pump to handle the backflow if my canister filter is going to be on the floor under the aquarium (water has to travel vertically about 5 feet).

I think I'll try the fluval 204 although the cascade looks like it has some neat features as well.

I recently bought a Fluval 204 for my 20 gallon tank, and a Rena Filstar XP1 for my 29 gallon tank, and so far I really like them both. The Fluval was much harder to set up initially than the Filstar, but once you see how it works it's not difficult.

If you wanna go cheap, I've been running the Odyssea CFS4 for about 6 months now, and I love it. They are real cheap on Ebay, and it has all the convenience of a pricey canister. BUUUUUUUT, talk to me in 2 years when all the RENA and EHEIM folks are still happy :)

I personally use the magnum line, I have both the hot 250 and the 350, love both of them actually. The 250 is a little louder than I like when I change the media, but it quiets back down in about 10 minutes.

I have three Cascade filters (2x1000, 1200) and have found them very easy to use. They are simple to setup (took me less than 15 minutes), easy to take apart (lift two pieces and pull out two pieces PLUS they have a carrying handle), silent, and the input/output tubes are easy to hide since they are black. I highly recommend this line of filters, but they are all good. You just have to find your favorite. :D

I dont understand the diffuculty.. all of my canisters are too old to be "easy" to use and once you get the hang of them there all simple IMHO..
how much flow you want and noise are the considerations for me..
eheim's are dead scielent..
fluvals are close..
the rena's Ive heard good things about.. but no practical experiance..
rena's have high flow rates and fluvals are just short of them..
so rena and fluval are my top picks.. fluval being the one I have LONG term suscess (over 15 years and still running great) with.. so I would likely get another (when the new 500 series comes out maybe LOL)

Yep, thats how he saved me a few bucks. I called bigal's and let them know it was cheaper on the other site and they matched it and took and additional 5% off.

Back
Top Bottom