Recommendation for canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C.w.deegan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Looking to get a canister filter for one of my tanks I have never used a canister before I was looking at a few on Amazon they are all priced relatively the same between 100 to 150 for ones rated for 50 75gallon tanks I'm gonna be using it on my new 55gal I'm setting up any recommendations on brand or a specific model I was looking at these 3 on Amazon Screenshot_20220404-085006_Amazon%20Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20220404-090029_Amazon%20Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20220404-090108_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

I like the fluval cannisters. Never had an issue that wasnt caused by my own mishandling, ready access to spare parts if i need them in a hurry.

I would personally look for a cannister rated for double your tank. I have a 406 on a 55 gallon, so 407 would be the new model equivalent. I would be fine with a 307 though.

All 3 of those brands in your pic have a good reputation. Although I would avoid any that has built in UV. Ive read bad reviews about built in UV on the polar aurora/sunsun/allpond solutions canisters (all 3 brands are the exact same filter).

I would be worried about the Fluval, a F6 cost around 350 dollars . I don't know how you can get it for 100 dollars without it being a scam. ( So please look in that if you are thinking of getting it)

The SunSun or whatever they are calling teh Gray one can be hit or miss. I had a Sunsun work great for years on my Turtle tank, then break like at year two. But when it was working the water was spotless. If I didn't know he pooped in there you could drink it.

I would be worried about the Fluval, a F6 cost around 350 dollars . I don't know how you can get it for 100 dollars without it being a scam. ( So please look in that if you are thinking of getting it)

The SunSun or whatever they are calling teh Gray one can be hit or miss. I had a Sunsun work great for years on my Turtle tank, then break like at year two. But when it was working the water was spotless. If I didn't know he pooped in there you could drink it.
He isnt looking at a fx6. The price he is at looking at is for the 207 at $140. Ive recommended to go one bigger.

I have 2 fluval FX5 and have been using them for around 7 years and they were used. I love them. Now there are FX4 and FX6.

Also agree about doubling the amount you might need for your tank.

Reason is once the media is in there, GPH are reduced, and used for awhile the GPH are reduced more, but usually Fluval has a better GPH than many other canister filters. They have been good to work with over the years for customer service. All of my filters are Fluval or AquaClear.

What im actually looking for is capacity for 1kg of biomedia for every 100 litres of water. So for 55g (say 200 litres) thats 2 kg of biomedia.

Each basket on a 307/407 will hold about 1kg. 307 has 3 baskets, so 1 for sponge and polishing pad and 2 for the biomedia. A 407 has 4 baskets, so as above but with 1 spare for chemical media should i need it.

Back
Top Bottom