recommendations on rodi unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jereli

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anybody recommend any rodi units? I have never used one before but since I am getting more lazy about going to the water store I will buy one. I don't need to make 150gpd. I also want to use it as drinking water if that matters... it will save me many trips to water store.

I am guessing I will probably be making around 50 gallons a month just an approximation... does that mean that if I get a 150gpd rodi unit I will be changing the membrane less often then a 100gpd unit?

carey how long have u been using this unit and how often do u replace the filters or what ever cartridges need to be replaced

I've only been using it a few months. I bought a TDS meter for like $15 so I can tell when the filters need replacing. Supposed to get 6-9 months out them at least from what I read. I think it has the lifespan of each cartridge listed in the ad on ebay.

Oh I see thanks..I still need to do some more research not sure what to choose. What are some units that anyone else is using?.. trying to gather some info before buying one.

Denwhite16.. how much water does your unit waste to produce filtered water? Or do all these units waste the same amount of water. Also what the main difference between these

Mine does around the same, maybe a little less waste water than Carey's. I'm pretty sure it's pretty much the same across the board. I save my waste water in 5 gallon water jugs and give them to my wife to water her plants with.

I believe, (Carey correct me if I'm wrong) Carey's is a portable unit that you can hook up to a garden hose. Whereas I had to hook mine up under the sink. I could've probably gotten an adapter of some kind to hook up to hose, but I chose to hook it up directly under the sink. Another difference is that hers is a 4-stage unit and mine is a 6-stage unit. That only means that mine has two extra filters, according to the pages those are both: 5 micron coconut
carbon block filters. It says they are to remove chlorine, chloramine, odor, chemicals, pesticides and protect your membrane.

That being said, her is about $35 cheaper than mine and as far as I have heard, she has not had any problems with it.

Nope, mine has been wokring like a champ! No problems for me at all. I only make water one day a week so it works out great for me, I can just put the unit in a bag and into the closet til the next week. :)

Back
Top Bottom