Recommended Filtration for 12 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnTz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am so lost about filtration for saltwater. It seems like some people do not use any HOB, while others do. I plan to get a 12 gallon tank or possibly even 24 gallon depending on space (already have 55 gallon tank for turtle that my roommate wants) for next school year's apartment. I want a nano reef tank with Ocellaris Clownfish. Can someone recommend a decent setup for filtration.

I've kept a 10g tank for over one year depending on my live rock and weekly 10% water changes for its main filtration. The only mechanical filtration I used is an aqua clear 150 HOB filter with just a plain sponge to collect the bigger particles and a bag of activaded carbon inside. I depended on the weekly water chages to export waste and to import trace elements.

Now I have a 14g with an AquaC Remora HOB skimmer and still using the aqua clear HOB. Now I just do bi-weekly water changes.

If you want a more stable system, go with the larger tank. Then you'll definitely be able to have a pair of clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and some other little goodies.

I don't get why a turtle needs 55gallons...but I know people don't understand why I need 7 aquariums ;)

I've been researching doing a nano-reef. www.nanoreefs.com has a lot of info that you might find useful. A lot depends on what you want to keep. Live rock should be the basis of your filtration - many people recommend not using skimmers on nanos, arguing frequent water changes are better (although not mutually exclusive if you do have a skimmer of course). Aqua C Remora is highly recommended but may be too tall for your tank, so you'd either need to raise the tank or leave room behind the stand. You don't really need a HOB - if you have one, it's good for extra circulation (you'll need at least 1 ph too), but if you keep a sponge in, you should clean it constantly to keep nitrates down.

Back
Top Bottom