Reducing Mag Drive Vibration Noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone got any suggestions on reducing the vibration noise in my in sump mag drive (ie: Rubber or something?)?

You could get an iwaki and sell your mag on ebay.

I'm selling my wife's Grand Prix and buying a used Lexus for the same reasons. LOL :mrgreen:

Mag12s and larger come with a vibration pad, which ironically in very similar to and adhesive mousepad. Also is it mounte with rigid pipe (i.e PVC) using flex with a little slack usually helps.

I bought bead foam (the white stuff) today and a stainless steel water heater flex line to try. I'll post results in a while.

Maybe I should just stuff some mouse pads in My wife's grand Prix and hook a flex pipe up to the muffler. :mrgreen:

kools man glad you got it quieted down!

I'm using a Mag 7 to circulate the water from the tank to the sump and it's sitting in the sump. When I first put it into the sump, there was some vibration, but I just moved it around and found a "sweet spot" and it's totally silent now. I also have a Mag 5 in there that drives my UV, which is also totally silent.

If you just put it into the sump and haven't tried shifting it around, do that before you take any other measures. If it doesn't work, foam like they use in an Aquaclear filter most likely will stop the vibration. I got the Mag because I started with a Rio HF and the only way to stop that from making a really nasty noise was to just get rid of it.

Avi said:
I'm using a Mag 7 to circulate the water from the tank to the sump and it's sitting in the sump. When I first put it into the sump, there was some vibration, but I just moved it around and found a "sweet spot" and it's totally silent now. I also have a Mag 5 in there that drives my UV, which is also totally silent.

If you just put it into the sump and haven't tried shifting it around, do that before you take any other measures. If it doesn't work, foam like they use in an Aquaclear filter most likely will stop the vibration. I got the Mag because I started with a Rio HF and the only way to stop that from making a really nasty noise was to just get rid of it.

Mag 36 vibrates period. I could hear it upstairs.

In my experience...which is having them for many years...and I have three going right now in one room...two on my reef and one on my planted tank...in a room where my lovely wife watches television, I can say that they are utterly, and I mean utterly silent. I've never had a "Mag 36" but I can tell you that the Mag 5's and Mag 7's make absolutely no noise on my tanks.

By the way, the two Mag's that I have on my reef are in the sump, and the one that I have on the planted tank is running the circulation for my pressurized CO2 unit and is mounted to the bottom of the aquarium stand with screws.

Mag 7 = 700gph
Mag 36 = 3600 gph = 1 gal/sec

My Mag 9.5 was quieter, but this is the biggest pump I've seen out there that is in sump.

Back
Top Bottom