Reef Light high-end or budget difference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Over the years (~4 so far) I have been keeping nano reef tanks lighting has always been a bit mysterious.

Was watching some videos and looked up Radion lights. They call their lights the best lights in the world. It seems they have a newer one now, G4 and there is one main factor which looks like it makes this a home run. It appears to me the advantage is the new style cover for the LED bulb called hemispherical edge.

https://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion

This is just one type, there are a number of others which value themselves the cream of the crop.

What I really wanted to discuss and compare is actually the LED lights part of these fixtures. Not their other ultra cool features.

If you scroll down on the above link, it shows the pattern of the colors of lights and specifically names each LED color.

RADION G4
LEDs 2 sets of these usually
Colors
4 - Cool White
4 - Deep Blue
4 - Blue
2 - Green
2 - Photo Red
4 - UV
2 - Violet
1 - Warm White

The Par 38 45W bulb has these for $20.99 You would need 2 of these bulbs to somewhat compare to the above
Marine: (Reef A is out of stock the one with the green led too so couldn't compare it)
5x450nm blue violet /deep blue
6x12000k white,
2x410nm, violet purple
1x660nm, red

Mine has 54W
7 blues but I can't really tell how many of deep or regular
7 white total - 1 or 2 warm white and the rest cool white
2 violets
1 red
1 green

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

For growing corals I know plenty of Reefers use the knock offs/China lights

So these light colors and bulbs are very similar, would be better comparison if I had the numbers for the light I have, it is slightly different.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Any way what are peoples thoughts about the actual light colors and intensity.

Realizing there are fancy upgrades with the high cost lights, like light type and duration - Those things can't compare to a PAR 38 bulb.

What do people like /or use and if you used the budget ones in the past did you upgrade as fast as you could and why, and only use for DT or use only the high end lights on all tanks, etc.?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom