Reef light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm wanting LED lights for my FOWLER tank so that I can convert it to reef. I don't want to be limited because of light on what corals I can choose. The Dimensions are :30" W x 18" D x 24" H. How many lights do I need? I don't want metal halides because of the heat issue and the fact that they are very expensive. I currently have two T5 which I'm well aware isn't sufficient. In addition, how do you know how much light you need with the LED's?

You can get away with 1 taotronic dimmable i have 3 over my 180 and there very bright I have a mixed reef and every thing does well under these lights,there are better but at a much higher cost

SInce your tank is FOWLR, you don't have to make sure you have powerful lights. Just hunt around for one that'll light up your tank and make you happy. This would be one situation where even the marineland leds could work! Lol.

Haha! I'm converting it to a reef. I am getting the needed equipment so I'm all good!

I love my AI Sol Blue led so I do recommend them. They are pricey though. You mentioned mh being expensive but I think you may spend more if you decide on led. Whichever led brand you choose I highly recommend getting a dimmable one. That feature rocks!

I know I'm going to need to fork out some money for them. The halides give off to much heat so combining my AC bill and initial cost, I am leaning towards the LED's. I don't really understand how many lights I need on one fixture though. I heard a combination of the blue and white are good.

The lights I got have 2 blue (1 super blue, 1 regular blue) and 1 white per disc. Each fixture has 8 discs. I have three fixtures on a 4' tank. On a 30" I would get 2.

Back
Top Bottom