Reef Octopus BH2000 trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blow into the air intake? Wouldn't that just cause air to be in the pump?
How did you go about finding the sweet spot anyway?
What difference does ro/di water make?

Go to FAQs on their website. As I understand it the pump not priming and making a rattling noise could be due to stuck impeller. They recommended small puff of air in the tube. Worked for me. As for water .... test parameters on your tap water it is no where near the purity of rodi water. Your tank will be happier.

What is the website?
I checked reefoctopus.com and coralvue.com, but I couldn't find anything on either.
I've gontacted their "customer service", but it's apparently just one guy and he isn't helpful at all...

What is the website?
I checked reefoctopus.com and coralvue.com, but I couldn't find anything on either.
I've gontacted their "customer service", but it's apparently just one guy and he isn't helpful at all...

Take the pump off put it in a bucket of water see if it makes the same noise and if its pumping right. Did you try priming with your finger over the tube?

The website is WWW.coralvue.com go to help tab, select FAQ/troubleshooting then go to protein skimmers. Your problem should be listed. I would suggest going there first and try puff of air method before disassembly. As for sweet spot... set it up on your tank and let it run for a couple of days for some unexplainable reason the micro bubbles will go away. Good luck.

After about a week it started to bubble properly and skim really well, but I did a water change again to test the chemical in the water conditioner theory and it has been confirmed. I'm going to switch to ro/di water for my next water change. They sent me a pump replacement, but I'm hesitant to put it on... Out of the box it was scuffed up and looked used. If it functions properly then it's fine, but I also want to wait until my water is clean of the water conditioner before I attach the replacement. I don't want the replacement to have the same problem because of the water. I'm thinking of switching pumps once I do the water change with ro/di water.

Is there any way to test the pumps to find out if one is better than the other?
I don't really trust the replacement they reluctantly sent me...

I'm sure the pump you have connected to your skimmer is good from what you say. I would put the other pump up for future use pumps don't last forever...You can also buy ro/di water by the gallon fairly cheap at the grocery store and walmart until you get your own ro/di unit.

forgot to ask did you use ro/di water or use chlorine remover with your water change because if you use chlorine remover the chemical in the remover will react with the skimmer and cause the problems similar to the one your having.

Only certain dechlorinators will overactivate a skimmer. I believe that Seachem's Prime will *not* cause problems.

But, yes, RO/DI water is the way to go for any SW tank.

Back
Top Bottom