Refractometer Recommendations Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buffy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Everyone,

Building 75Gal SW Mixed Tank. Would you please give me some input and links if possible for the refractometers you use and why you like them?

Thanks you all for your input.:fish1:

I just got the cheapest one on eBay that was Buy it Now and free shipping, ran about $30 shipped.

Thanks for help. I will check them out. Right now I have a plastic hydrometer but I read that they weren't accurate.

Appears they both measure salinity so if I may ask what's the difference between a hydrometer and refractometer?

Not positive on the hydrometer but I do know they aren't very accurate.

Refractometers work by seeing how much light is refracted by the water, hence the name, refractometer

The hydrometer reads salinity by the arm lifting a small nearly invisible bubble can effect it. I have never had a problem with my refractometer just make sure you get one with the screw not the thumb screw from some reviews the thumb screw ones need adjusting more often. I have had mine for 2 years now and never have had to adjust it I do check it at least monthly.

Thanks, I was only able to see pics which don't appear very detailed. I hadn't paid attention about screws when I read descriptions. I see from the posts that there is a large gap in price too. So now I am curious the differences besides the screw?

Back
Top Bottom