Refractometer went bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi All
I purchased a refractometer a short while back from Drs. Foster and Smith (The cheaper one) and all was fine until I had an outbreak of ich and had to put my fish in QT and start Hyposalinity treatment. On the 2nd day of Hypo, I went to calibrate the unit and found that I was unable too:eek2:. When I calibrated the unit with the pinpoint calibration fluid (35.0 PPT) then put RO water on it the reading went below far below Zero%. So I tried calibrating it with RO then put the calibration fluid on it and the reading went way above the 35.0 PPt of the pinpoint fluid salinity. It figures the unit would go bad when you needed it the most. Anyhow I called Drs. and explained the situation I was in, they were very understanding and wanted to ship a new one immediately, since i was not comfortable with this brand I paid the difference and ordered the more expensive unit from Vital Sign for which I only paid the difference in the price between the two and they express shipped it at no charge.
I received the new refractometer, went to calibrate it and found it to be dead on out of the box. I will be shipping them the old one when I get the pre paid return postage in the mail.
The moral of the story is everyone should be calibrating their refractometers using the pinpoint calibration fluid then retest with RO after the calibration, If i were to only have calibrated my old refractometer with RO I would have been unknowingly mixing up the wrong salinity concentration and harming everything in the DT and QT.
A huge thanks goes out to Larry for the great advice given to me when I was researching which unit to get.
I still can't speak highly enough about DRs for their staff and awesome customer service.

Well then i guess that's two of us.. ;) Im not on good terms with the so called "Good" doctors.

Well then i guess that's two of us.. ;) Im not on good terms with the so called "Good" doctors.
Your refractometer pooped out too? I know you're not on good terms with them and I feel bad your experience was not a good one:(.

Back
Top Bottom