Refractometers - What's The Difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone - I am planning on ordering a refractometer tomorrow from the 'Doctors Foster & Smith' website ... they offer two models - one appears to be a generic unit at a reasonable price and the other looks to be a name brand refractometer at much more money.

Hydrometers, Refractometers, & Salinity Monitors for Saltwater Reef and Marine Aquarium Testing

Will the generic unit suffice for checking specific gravity or would it be best to go with the more expensive unit?

Thanks for any insight!

Mainly accuracy. We use the Vital Sine at work, but I don't like them. It doesn't state what the accuracy of the cheaper model is on the website...

Mainly accuracy

But surely even though it is a no-name refractometer it has to be accurate within very acceptable tolerances for a home aquarium - right?

Out of curiosity can I ask what you do for a living - you use a refractometer at work ...

I work in a public aquarium. Not all refracs are built with the same integrity. I would find out the accuracy first...if the accuracy is comparable to +/-1ppt then the cheaper may serve you better as long as you take good care of it. You can always return it if you do not like it. Check marinedepot.com ;)

I work in a public aquarium. Not all refracs are built with the same integrity. I would find out the accuracy first...if the accuracy is comparable to +/-1ppt then the cheaper may serve you better as long as you take good care of it. You can always return it if you do not like it. Check marinedepot.com ;)

Ok - thank you for the advice. Sounds like a great gig working at a public aquarium (minus the public!).

Back
Top Bottom