Removal of grit from the Penguin BioWheel 330 motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DSenn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had the 'pleasure' of getting grit in their biowheel motor so that it grinds incessantly? If so, any idea how to correct it?

I am seriously about to write a letter to Penguin about this issue considering this has happened numerous times to me. The filter motor is like Fort Knox to access, making it impossible to clean. I do my best to prevent things from getting into my motor, but really, there is nothing on these filters that safeguards the motors from grit.

I have tried using a siphon to try to suck (and blow) the grit out, but with no luck.

Also...has anyone bought the new 350 model? If so, has anyone found them to be SUPER NOISY? Man, who wants a loud filter? Sheesh.

She sells plants? How about micro swords and corkscrew val?

Whoops. Wrong thread. Talking to myself here.

Lol... I have a lot of similar problems with my Penguin 100. Mostly with the impeller slowing down or the Biowheel stops turning. I've had to do quite a bit of maintenance on it and frankly I'm getting tired of it. I plan on replacing it with an Aqua Clear.

I used to think it was a great filter until it all started going downhill. To anyone planning on buying one all I have to say is AC>Penguin in my opinion.

I haven't had a problem with the biowheel functioning. It still works fine, but there is nothing to prevent things like sand and grit from getting sucked into the motor. I wouldn't have a problem with it if I could either 1) buy a new one from a REASONABLE price hahahahaha, or 2) get inside the motor to clean the grit out. It is a constant grinding and it drives me crazy. I want QUIET FILTERS.

I don't know much about the Aquaclear. I have had Biowheel 330's ever since I have been into fishkeeping. Maybe it is time for a change.

DSenn, a few things you may try are to make sure the intake tube inside the tank is only about midway up the tank, this may help from pulling so much debris into the filter, you can use a pipe cleaner to clean out the bottom of the tank. I have an older penguin 350 that I have had for about 3 years and it still works beautifully. Once a month or so I take the filter off the tank and clean it out in the sink. I don't know about the new ones, but the older ones come apart easily, if your sink has a sprayer, you can hold it upside down and spray it out with hot water. This method has always worked well for me.

Back
Top Bottom