Removing silicon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Few months ago, my tenants moved and left some stuff in the house. While searching my garage I noticed that they left a 50g behind. But the thing is that they added dividers with silicon and I'm wondering if there's a proper way to remove it without breaking the tank.

Attachments

• image-1502193361.jpg
    image-1502193361.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 72
I have not heard of a silicone remover. The best results I have had is using very sharp razor blade, just the blade, held at an angle. I would use a box cutter knife to carefully slice where the silicone is in the corner over and over on both sides until the dividers are loose. Then just pry it off and try to ge as much silicone to go with it as possible. Then use just the blade and scrape the rest off. If you do the scraping right, at the right angle you wont get a scratch.

This may be your only option because if you are going to use the tank for fish, expecially a reef, you dont want to use any other chemicals to remove the siliocone. 99% chance that its aquarium safe silicone so adding anything to remove it could harm you down the road.

So I assume the divider are in the middle right? That makes it easy. Just take a razor blade or exacto knife and scrape down the sides. When your resealing a tank. Younger an alcoholbase product to clean the silicon film off the glass.

Back
Top Bottom