Rena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 5ft Rena tank and I’m wondering if anyone can offer me some advice.
I believe parts are no longer available but I have a faulty light fitting.
It has two tubes side by side and there’s 2 of these in my particular set up.
Has anyone else had a problem with the fittings ceasing to work and does anyone know of a compatible substitute fitting maybe ?
I’m guessing the tubes are 4ft and I have the original types in and led no problem

Rena lights

Is it the entire light assembly you are needing to replace or just the lamps?

Hi
I’ve tried replacing the tube but no good,it’s partner tube works so I’m thinking I’ll need the whole assembly

I like the fluval aquasky fittings. There are a variety of mounting methods, including brackets that will allow the fitting to slot into a fluorescent tube fixture if its all incorporated into a hood.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Some double fluorescent light units are wired up together and use 2 starters with 2 globes. If one of the starters or one of the globes doesn't work, neither light will come on. The starters are small white plastic cyclinders about 2 inches long x 1/2 inch diameter. You normally have to take the cover off the light to get to the starters but not always. Sometimes you can access the starters by removing the globes and the end of the starters stick out a little bit where the globes are.

There are 2 types of fluorescent starters. One is for a single light unit. The other is for a double light unit. You need to get the correct starters otherwise it won't help. They should have text on the side of the starters saying what they are.

When replacing globes on double light units, you should replace both globes and both starters at the same time because they wear out together. Try to get globes with a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating. These provide a clean white light with red and blue spectrums that closely resembles sunlight.

If you post a picture of the light unit we might be able to see the starters.

If you know the model we might be able to find an instruction sheet on it online.

------------------

Alternatively, replace the light unit with a new LED light unit. They are generally cheaper to run and the more fancy models can have the different light spectrums come on at different times so you can have yellow in the morning, then add red and then blue, which resembles the sun coming up. In the evening you reverse that pattern so it's like the sun going down. The drawback to new LED light units is their price and you might be financially restricted and unable to afford one.

Light unit

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Some double fluorescent light units are wired up together and use 2 starters with 2 globes. If one of the starters or one of the globes doesn't work, neither light will come on. The starters are small white plastic cyclinders about 2 inches long x 1/2 inch diameter. You normally have to take the cover off the light to get to the starters but not always. Sometimes you can access the starters by removing the globes and the end of the starters stick out a little bit where the globes are.

There are 2 types of fluorescent starters. One is for a single light unit. The other is for a double light unit. You need to get the correct starters otherwise it won't help. They should have text on the side of the starters saying what they are.

When replacing globes on double light units, you should replace both globes and both starters at the same time because they wear out together. Try to get globes with a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating. These provide a clean white light with red and blue spectrums that closely resembles sunlight.

If you post a picture of the light unit we might be able to see the starters.

If you know the model we might be able to find an instruction sheet on it online.

------------------

Alternatively, replace the light unit with a new LED light unit. They are generally cheaper to run and the more fancy models can have the different light spectrums come on at different times so you can have yellow in the morning, then add red and then blue, which resembles the sun coming up. In the evening you reverse that pattern so it's like the sun going down. The drawback to new LED light units is their price and you might be financially restricted and unable to afford one.
Thanks for all that information..plenty to look at,I’ll check the units and starters

Back
Top Bottom