Rena 400 Air Pump Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evil426

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am having a problem with internal metallic vibrations on my Rena 400. This is my 3rd one (I returned the first 2). I've tried new tubing, new/different airstones, different flow settings, etc. and I am at my wit's end. The noise is driving me insane, especially since my 55 gallon is right next to my bed!

Each pump has run well for 3-4 days, then it starts the metallic vibration inside the housing which fades in and out from time to time and gets fairly loud. The problem goes away when the pump is run without any tubing attached, which leads me to believe it is some sort of backpressure issue.

PLEASE HELP! THANKS!

Every airpump I have ever had has vibrated somewhat. I put sponges under them, cloths, in short tried everything. I just don't use them any more. My cannister stirs up the surface more than enough for aeration purposes.

Sorry to hear your having problems. I'm using the smaller model 200 for 6 months and haven't had such problems. If your using it with airstones, it's possible they are clogging and need cleaning. This will cause the unit to function louder due to the blockage. I've had to clean my Rena micro bubbler of algae a few times already. I've read the ceramic airstones clog the least amount though. I like the micro-bubbler.

I would use a Whisper air pump. More reliable, even my super old one that looked like a gray box with a black base.

(oh, and that old airpump was tossed, it died in a storm.)

I expect a humming vibration. But it's more of an internal metallic vibration that was not there for the first week or two with each pump. With each new pump I got, I got new airlines and bubble wands, stones, etc. but nothing seems to have made a difference. Any other brand suggestions that have adjustable flow rates on the unit itself? I don't particularly like to use gang valves, and I only have 2 bubble wands and that's all I plan to use anyway.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom