Rena Filstar-Now I HATE IT.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had an XP3 for about a year and a half. First came the trapped air it would not let go of. Then came the periodic gigantic air suck. then came the small leaks from the canister when first set up after cleaning. Then came the deafening noise as it sucked ever-larger amounts of air.
sick.gif

I replaced the O-rings and the seal over the impeller housing, to some effect. Then we were right back where we started.
cry.gif

Last night the deafening roar started again, and I was wandering around in nightclothes opening the *&$)-ing thing up and putting it all back together. Then I heard the sound no one wants to hear at 11:30 PM; gushing water.
wallbash.gif

I had to unplug it, which sucks 'cause I have an inline heater on that filter. Happily I have an HOB filter and an extra heater on the tank.
yes.gif

Now I'm replacing the impeller, shaft and bearings. That makes $60-odd on parts, but I can't afford a new canister at the moment. If it doesn't work I'll be chucking it out our third-story window.
huh.gif

Just a "friendly" heads up! All those Eheim fanatics were right!

Why don't you call the company and see if they can remedy the situation. Filstar, from what I have seen, has a pretty good reputation.

I agree with James. This is the first time I have heard of all those issues with one filter. Sometimes they come from the factory with defects.

It's always acted up a little right after maintenance, but not a big deal. Settled down once the air bubbles were out. I really like the filter when it's working properly, which it did until a couple months ago.

When it started having real issues I assumed it was just in need of new gasket/o-rings, which I thought was fine after 18 months or so of use. A new impeller is pushing it, though, at this age.

I might take it up with Rena, but more likely I'll just buy another Eheim when I have the $$. Honestly I'm pretty paranoid now about this filter; if it were just mine it would be one thing, but I have been hearing more and more similar complaints as people have them longer.

You would be doing a disservice to yourself by not contacting Rena. All products have the ability to fail and even though Eheim has a solid reputation for quality, even they have their manufacturing failures. Fluval, ime, has always been known for their crapmanship.

Hey no, I have 2 fluvials that run spot on, no noise! LOL! Only complaint I have is the somewhat cheap intake, output tubes.

Once I get the new impeller, and take the whole thing apart and reassemble and see if it works, I will take it up with Rena. You're correct-they deserve an opportunity to make it right or at least know about the problems. I did love the filter when it was working properly, but I'm a little shy of having one running now.

Off to see if all the bacteria is dead and stinking in the canister now, and to do a rescue mission on the media if things are still OK. No time to do that this morning. And a huge water change. And drop in another heater. Whee!

Sorry for your troubles. I will say that I'm running 4 Renas, 2 of them for over 18 months, with pretty much no issues.

I'd just keep an eye on ammo just in case you lost a lot of your probiotics. I agree that you might want to contact RENA, but if you can bite the bullet get the EHEIM asap.

Definitely keep an eye on it. One of the biggest complaints (and I see it a LOT) is the leaking water on the Renas. I hope it gets taken care of. Keep us posted.

I have four and they are perfect.
Nearly silent and all I've ever had to do was replace fine pads and rings.

It seems like most of the Renas work well, but it doesn't seem uncommon for them to be noisy and/or leak. I've heard the same reports with Fluvals; some love them and some don't.

I think the biomedia made it through OK; I had just cleaned the filter a coupla weeks ago so it wasn't too funky. I put the biomedia in a bag in my HOB, and the tank is sparkly and the fish are happy. Will be testing every couple days to make sure there's no drama.

Thanks to everyone for your support and comments, and I'll report back when the new impeller is installed!

Awright, I replaced the impeller and ran the filter a couple days empty. All was well, so I refilled the media today and it's humming along very nicely. And quietly. And no leaking.

I did read somewhere that one should not remove the impeller unless it's truly fouled up, and I had been taking it out periodically to rinse off slime. That repeated removal and re-insertion could have been what caused the impeller to wear prematurely.

I hope so, 'cause when it's running well I almost feel like trying again at our relationship...I just have to learn to trust again....[sniff]

Hopefully the tides are turning :) and you'll have smooth sailing again - you and your Filstar! :wink:

Glad to hear it's working well now!

Back
Top Bottom