rena filstar xp3 leek (wet carpet)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sith j

Aquarium Advice Activist
i finally got new carpet put in my house, which meant that i could finally set up my new 75 gal tank. my wife was reluctant to let me get a tank that big but i finally got the ok. yesterday i set up the tank, with sand and decorations and then hooked up my canister filter w/ a inline hydor heater which is really nice. once i got the filter set up and running i was through. there were no water leaks on any of the tubing or the filter. when i woke up the next morning i walked into the living room to marvel at my new set up and noticed that my tanks water level was an inch lower. then my sock started to get wet. i opened the door to where my filter is located and to my disbelief there was water trickling from the quick disconnect on my pump. i killed the power to my tank and got my python and started draining my tank. i had to remove all the water so i could move the tank and stand. then i started towel drying my brand new carpet. my tank is still in the middle of the living room and fans and my wifes hair dryer going on low. i thought she was going to kill me.
has anybody had this same pump do this or did i just not have a good seal on the quick disconnect. i am wondering if i should have just went with two emperor 400 so i can sleep at night.

This shouldn't happen at all and you should at least been able to see any leaks from whichever area of the filter when switching it on. I would get a different filter. I'm sorry for the money, but a new carpet it a lot more expensive. Besides, you don't want this to happen again or your wife might tell you to set up the tank in the basement or to sell it again.

Is the filter old or new? If new return it. If not new try using some teflon tape and replacing the seal if there is one. I don't have that filter so I don't know if it has a rubber seal there or not. My magnum 350 and fluval 304 both leak around the intake tube connectors if I don't use teflon tape.

For the new carpet can you rent a shampooer and use the suction feature to drain the water out of the carpet.Then use a fan to dry the surface.

What kind of filter was it? I have the XP3 and did not have that problem at all. Done about 30 maintenances on it as well, and no leaks after each one. I wonder if you just didn't have it seated correctly. If you decide to retry it, do it when you have time, and are able to be there for a few hours to keep checking on it.

Edit:
I don't use any teflon tape on mine either.

Also, saw your heading, it's an XP3. Did you have the quick release all the way down? I read if it's not all the way down, that it will leak water. I always check mine when I do maintenance that it is all the way down before I plug it in.

I am fairly new to this forum and know nothing about fish but I do know about spouses and their attachment to flooring (I have pine floors that I was threatened about hurting with my aquarium).

I purchased 2 of the Coarlife "screamers" that detect water leaks - 1 for inside the cabinet and 1 for behind the cabinet near my inline heater connection. I also have the xp3 and sounds like the same setup as yours. Fortunately no leaks and it has been up about 2 weeks.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19675;category_id=2311

Good luck!

8O I am so sorry to hear about the carpet. Within days of moving into our current apartment, one of the HOB filters leaked and now we are the proud owners of a small wet/dry shop vac :)sigh: just what I wanted to spend money on :roll:).
I would set up this filter outside with a small tank (if you have one laying around) to trouble shoot the problem. If the filter is new, it should be under warranty and the LFS or manufacturer should be happy to replace it.

carpet is dry now, thank god i didnt ruin the sub-flooring. i will check the filter on an empty 10 gal i have lying around. i must have not had the quick disconnect pushed down hard enough. or at least i hope so. at least since i have the tank and stand moved out from the wall i am going to a black background on the tank which i forgot to install the first time. the pump sealed perfect the first time i started it, but the second time we all know what happened, will check it out after a bit and hopefully set the tank back and refill with no leaks. for now i have to get back to damage control with my wife.

Glad to hear no permanent damage was done. Damage control for the wife, take her out to dinner. Diamonds are always good too. LOL :wink: Seriously though, dinner out would probably be a good idea.

operation wet carpet is over. tank is back in place and running like a champ. no leeks!!!

will keep a very close eye on it, will probably stay up late and watch it like a new born baby. will start fishless cycle soon assuming all is well. i think dinner is a good idea

Back
Top Bottom