Rena Filstar xp4 setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyssa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a Rena Filstar xp4 on clearance for a terrific price. I am in the process of building a 55 gal tank and had already purchased a HOB but I couldn't resist the allure of such a great device for the price. The xp4 is rather too much for a 55 gal probably. Can anyone give me some advice on setup? I see it can be set up with the outlet as a power jet or as a spray bar. Does anyone have an opinion about that? I am setting up a freshwater tank and would like to have some decent current, so maybe use the power jet and deflect the flow a bit? Or is this device altogether simply too powerful for a 55 gal?

Thanks very much for any input.

Alyssa

I don't have that brand of filter but I use and like the spray bar. What is nice I can take each section of the spray bar and position them up, down or straight to the other side of the tank, and I use to powerheads for any dead spots. My canister is rated for a 100 gal. And use it on a 40 gal. Breeder. And I use a HOB filter to! :)

I have ten times the volume of the tank in turnover on my tanks, the rena is not to big for a 55. I use the jet adapter on mine for extra movement in the tank. My surface agitation comes from a HOB.

So you both think I should use the HOB too? I bought an Aquaclear 70. As to the configuration for the Rena, I'm still torn. I like the idea of creating a current but I just want to make sure it isn't too strong. I bought 100 # of a nice substrate yesterday at a shop that is closing. I was planning on using sand but I liked this stuff better. It's a very small gravel in irregular shapes that the guy said he had brought in from Hawaii and was what he used for his display tanks. Anyway I don't think this stuff will shift around nearly as much as sand might, even in a relatively strong current.

Thanks so much for your input! I'm very glad I found this community.

Alyssa said:
So you both think I should use the HOB too? I bought an Aquaclear 70. As to the configuration for the Rena, I'm still torn. I like the idea of creating a current but I just want to make sure it isn't too strong. I bought 100 # of a nice substrate yesterday at a shop that is closing. I was planning on using sand but I liked this stuff better. It's a very small gravel in irregular shapes that the guy said he had brought in from Hawaii and was what he used for his display tanks. Anyway I don't think this stuff will shift around nearly as much as sand might, even in a relatively strong current.

Thanks so much for your input! I'm very glad I found this community.

I think you'll be surprised once you set up your canister, I really don't think it will be to much current. :) and no you don't need to use a HOB to. The best advice I can give you is try your canister with the spray and without it, same with the HOB filter. Play around with it and see what works for you. :)

I have been using the filstar filters for years and had no problem with flow. I like the spraybar because you can direct the spray upward at the surface and use the flow control to break the surface as much or as little as you want. The basket set up for filter media is great also because you can cutomize the media to you needs. It is a great filter. Right now I am running the xp3 on two of my 20gal. long tanks.

The reason I'm trying to make up my mind is because I am building a custom faux rock background and making accommodations for the mechanicals in the design to hide them ( while trying to be mindful of the need for flow, etc.) I suppose the best answer is to build it to accommodate either configuration. :)

Also, thanks for letting me know about your experience with the filstar. What mind of media do you use?

I use this exact filter on my 125 and I use the spray bar submerged as to not upset the fish but you can't really over filter a tank so it would be fine in your tank as long as the current doesn't stress the fish

I have the xp3 on my 90 gallon using the spraybar along the left side pointing to the right side at full flow, angled slightly up to create surface motion but no splashing, the tank is mostly populated with itty bitty guppies that love to play in this current by no means is it to strong or at all to stressful on the fish it's where they hang out and play almost all day no problems what so ever, in other words don't worry about it.

Excited to watch this thread I just purchased an aquaclear 110 and a rena xp2 I haven't even put water in tank probably another couple weeks before I even get water for fishless cycling

You have nothing to worry about with having both XP4 and HOB filters on your 55 gal tank as far as too much flow. I to have both filters on my 55gal, started out using the spray bar on my XP4 and later decided I liked the jet spray better. Just experiment with both to see which one you prefer, and enjoy setting up your tank.

I would use the HOB with the canister, if for nothing else than to run filter floss to keep the water nice and clear. Also the HOB is easier to just add in things like carbon or whatever else you want to run. That way you dont have to take apart the canister when you want to add a certain type of media on a temporary basis.

I finished stage 1 of the background I am building to accommodate both filters. I can always not put the HOB in there and it wouldn't matter, the way I designed it. Also, I decided to use the power jet. It will sit behind a little wall (trying to hide all the mechanicals) and shoot out at a slight angle. I built it to sit either a few inches from the surface or closer to the middle of the tank - does anyone have any ideas about the pros and cons of either position?

The background is being built with the styrofoam - cement - marine resin procedure and I will be siliconing it into the tank so I want to be sure I've got it right. I'm rather pleased with how it is coming along. I'll probably put the first layer of cement on tonight.

Back
Top Bottom