Rena vs. fluval filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
so I'm in the market for a new filter to either add or replace the HOB filter on my 29G tank, more than likely an addition to. I was looking at the rena XP2, as I would be able to move it over to the 55 gallon I intend to upgrade to. I've been shopping around, and have found fluval and ehiem filters comparable in price. I also noticed a marineland canister filter, but no one seemed to know much about them. I am looking for some filter recommendations, canister filter that can move over to a 55 gallon tank if needed. I would like to try to stay under 150 if at all possible...

thanks in advance,

Bear

well from personal experience fluval 204 works just fine for a 28gallon (its what i use). you could probably go for the 305 (the 5 is this years model no differences whatsoever, might be able to get an 04 series on clerance like i did picked it up at petco for $50 last year).

My brother has a marineland filter for his 55gallon, it doesn't move a whole lot of water (not sure which size he got though his bioload is very small for that size a tank) and i can say its a lot more of a pain to work with. taking it apart for cleaning is a lot more effort than my fluval and the reassemble takes some getting used to(granted he didnt bother telling me it was his first time cleaning the filter when we moved his tank)

From what i've heard i'd say an xp3 or the 305 for a 55 gallon, Ehiems are nice a bit more pricey in general from what i've noticed and their cost for media is a lot higher than fluval's (but you can mix and match)

Thank you for the reply, I've looked at both the rena, and the fluval. The LFS wasnt much help as to which one was better, but they did tell me that I could use the fluval 105 (the smallest one, for like a 20 gallon tank) on my 29G tank...I questioned that...

I am looking at either the 205 or 305 in the fluvals. Worst case scenario, I get a new one with the bigger tank...

Thank you again for the help, and if anyone else has some advice, please share

Bear

I run an XP1 in my 20, XP2 in my 29, and an XP3 in my 46. I think you can guess my choice, but I have no experience with the fluvals either.

cool...I can use that to conceal...the tank is on an old library table (old desk) so, I have nothing to hide stuff under it...

I have the fluvial 304 (last year's model) and love it. I was playing with a 305 and it seems they made some improvements on it like making it easier to open. I find the ehiem to be more expensive, but I have no experience with them.

Yall have helped a lot with the information provided, you have shown me that this decision will not be easy...LOL I do appreciate the help, and advice, and will continue to do my research.

If anyone else has advice, please feel free to continue to add, to further help myself, and anyone else who might be in the same boat...

Thanks again folks

Bear

If you have the ability to see them in a store, take them apart and see which one suits your needs or which will be easier to take apart for maint.

the maint. issue is non-existant...once I do it a time or 2, its no big deal...I'm a hands on kinda guy, guess I need to open an LFS on the principal of best buy...LOL

Back
Top Bottom