Rena xp3 canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhetor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've looked at numerous canister filters for my 125 gallon tank.

The biggest canister filter i could find was the Rena XP3. It says it will support up to a 175 gallon tank. The flow rate is 350gph.

350gph doesn't sound like enough to me. The Magnum 350 flows the same yet it only supports 100 gallons? What's the deal? Does the area of the media make that big of a difference?

I would rather get an 800gph in line pump and make my own filtration set up, but it would be an eye soar as it would have to go under the tank in the open space.

What do you guys think about the Rena XP3?

I love my XP3, but I also have an XP2 running with it on a 100 gal. oscar/jack dempsey tank. I really don't think the XP3 will be enough unless you have an understocked tank.

I agree. I have an XP3 running on a 55gal.

I would put 2 XP3's on a 125. (Love this filter, BTW)

If you want a bigger canister filter go with the Ocean Clear.

I run one on my 180gal Oscar tank and it works GREAT!

you will need a 1200gph water pump and you have to plumb them yourself but they sure are worth it.

check out the Ocean Clear line of filters at www.DrsFosterSmith.com

I have heard very good things about these filters, too - good call! That's a big tank so it's wise to get serious about filtration.

Thanks for the recomendations.

I'll have to start looking into inline pumps. I'll probably end up using home water filtration systems, because i have one in my house and it would be nice if I could use the same filter cartridges. They're real cheap too!

Those filter cartridges are not designed to handle the waste that is created in a fish tank, but would be fine to filter water that you use to fill your tank. As a tank filter they would clog in no time flat, if I read your post correctly.

They make a pretty good range of micron filters for the home filtration systems. I see what you mean about clogging fast though, i'll have to check and see what sort of thicker set ups are available. I could probably fab something up pretty easily.

Rena over rates the size tank its filters will work in. It would be nice if filter makers did the flow ratings with hoses and media installed to get a true reading. then it would be easy to use the 6x rule. Rena is not the only one to do this.
I bet my xp1 only does 160gph to 200gph at best not the 250gph it says on the box. Subtract about 25% from the rated flow and you should be close.

XP1 250gph is rated up to a 45gal. If it will be your only filter I wouldnt use it on more than a 30gal.

XP2 300gph is rated up to a 75gal. 45gal would be my limit.

XP3 350gph is rated at up to 175gal. 65gal would be pushing it.

It is a good idea to use 2 filters on bigger tanks anyways. What 2 filters is the question. Lots of combos will work.

For what its worth...I've got a buddy with an XP3 on a 55 gal and he complains about cavitation with his unit. Anyone else get that?

The home water filters are much to fine to filter a tank. You might check out a swimming pool supply for a cartridge filter made for spas or above ground pools. You would need a separate pump. Probably for less money , invest in a big Eheim. You can use a variety of media and they are bullet proof. I like to run a HOB with a canister. :D

You might consider a big Eheim canister. They are excellent. I would also run a HOB with any canister setup.

My XP3 on my 55 cavitates from time to time - it is important to use some silicone grease or even vaseline on the seal to make sure no air gets in. Also, have him make sure the intake is not sucking up bubbles from an air stone or something nearby.

I run my XP3 without a HOB on my 55 because it is heavily planted and I don't want splashing or biowheels. On my African tank, 44gal breeder, I have an Eheim 2215 with an Emperor, because I need heavy filtration. I too like to supplement a canister with a HOB when I can, just makes for more versatility and water movement.

I think i'll be purchasng an inline pump and filter set up. On my 55 i had something like 400gph or more, i had two HOB rated at 280gph.

I would really hate to put a tiny filter on this brand new 125gallon tank and possibly harm the fish.

So now i'm looking at Quiet One pumps and Little Giants also.

Any opinions on the Quiet One inline pumps? They're considerably cheaper than the others...

Also, how much head am i going to be looking at? What's the typical pressure for the inline filters?

Back
Top Bottom