Rena XP3 vs. Aquatop(sunsun) CF500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking to for filtration for my 90g and have come down to these two. I have read up a lot on both but just can't decide. soda anyone have any experiences with these filters? Pros and cons? Price is not a factor in this case

I've been looking at the oddysea cfs 700 myself. The only bad things I've heard about the knockoffs is that the hoses are pretty short. Overall the reviews I've seen for aquatop have been pretty good but tbh if it was between them and rena I'd probably just get the rena since the price is so close, even if it is a bit slower.

I've been looking at this one
Filtration - Odyssea Canister Filter1100 + UV

and this one

Filtration - Odyssea Canister Filter 700 + UV

I have a 72 gallon with a Rena XP3 I have been happy with it. It works fantastic. I have perfect water. I have no extra media added to it. I have had it 2.5 years and just recently when I disconnect the hoses it drips a little. But a small amount.

I may look at the XP4 for the price difference.

jetajockey said:
I've been looking at the oddysea cfs 700 myself. The only bad things I've heard about the knockoffs is that the hoses are pretty short. Overall the reviews I've seen for aquatop have been pretty good but tbh if it was between them and rena I'd probably just get the rena since the price is so close, even if it is a bit slower.

I've been looking at this one
Filtration - Odyssea Canister Filter1100 + UV

and this one

Filtration - Odyssea Canister Filter 700 + UV

What have you read about the odysseas?

Any other suggestions regarding the original question?

The oddysea reviews seem pretty good, someone did mention that the top was kind of flimsy and they cracked it and had to order a replacement, but that was just one review. I believe there is a mod for the cfs500 also to increase the filtration using some PVC piping inside the canister, you should be able to pull it up via google.

If it were between the two you originally listed I'd just get the rena, might as well pay an extra 20 or so for big name brand instead of a knockoff. Sunsun/perfect etc knockoffs used to be a lot cheaper but I think as they began to be stocked by stateside distributors and rebranded/renamed they also brought the prices up.

I also have had a marineland c160 for years that worked great with one exception, the impeller broke on it a couple of years ago and I contacted marineland and they sent me a replacement one immediately, no charge, no proof of purchase, etc, so I was impressed.

It looks like the aquatop is modeled after the c-530, here's a side by side
http://truaqua.com/aquatop-canister-filter-cf-500uv.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...03csegb&ref=3312&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525416001

Last edited:
OK i think ill go with the Rena. I have noticed that the prices in aquatops /sunsuns have gone up even in the past dew months. They probably just got more popular. The one thing i like about them though is that it comes with the UV sterilizer but you don't really need one in a planted tank.

Is this around the normal price for a used fx5? IME you don't really see used fx5s for sale i guess cuz nobody wants to get rid of them lol

I have the XP3 on my 75 and it does a fantastic job! I did stuff mine with as much filter/biomedia as possible.

I have 6 Rena 3's and 2 Rena 4's I really like them very dependable, and very easy to service. With 3-4 media baskets the choices are unlimited. I believe Petsolutions has them on sale right now for $113, not a bad price.

Jodisgermanshepherd said:
Do the people with full media baskets? What kind of extra media are you adding? And is there anything special your adding if you have p,ants?

I just have stars in one basket, sponges in one and sponges and stars in the 3rd one. I am very happy and will never try anything else other then these rena. Plus I've had mine for years and I'm not talking like 3-4 I'm talking a long time and have never had an issue

Do you have plants? And what media do you use and which baskets! Thanks

I have blood parrots, they don't approve of my choice of live plants. ;)

I have the black thick sponges in the bottom basket, the old biowheel from the tank I upgraded to the 75 along with the biostars and ceramic biomedia in the second basket and a variety of white floss sponges in the third basket.

Back
Top Bottom