Replacing aquarium top frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CallMeJoe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank with a broken top center brace. I repaired it with an aluminum strap spanning front to back, shaped to the brace, RTVd to front and back surfaces, and super glued to the existing brace. While this seems to be holding OK, I can't help but think it would be better to replace the top frame with a new one. ThatFishPlace sells a replacement top frame, and I wanted to find out if anyone here had ever replaced such a thing and had advice on how to proceed.

Replacing the top frame is not hard work, just a pain in the rear. Basically, what I did was to run a long razor between the old trim and the glass, both on the outside and inside of the tank. Then, I pulled off the trim in sections (since it broke easily). I slid my fingers between the frame and glass and peeld it off.

Once the old trim is removed, remove as much of the old silicone as you can. Run a bead of new silicone in the channel of the new trim, press it into place, and then weigh the trim down until it fully cures.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want me to be more specific or have any more questions. Of course, others may have other suggestions as well.

So: run a very thin blade all the way around the rim inside and out (obviously with NOTHING inside, to reduce the chance of breakage) , work off the old frame, clean off ALL the old sealant, then apply a fresh bead inside the new frame and seat it on. Not too difficult, but definitely not a one evening project, especially with relocating my fish during the job.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Whenever I decide to try it, I'll post my report.

Actually, it I did it in a few hours. I did this when i had the tank in the office. I did not have anywhere to put the fish, so I drained the tank down to about 3 inches of water and was very careful to make sure nothing fell into the tank (trim pieces/silicone). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom