Replacing bulkhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choate515

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had the nut break on the return bulkhead while I was changing out the return line. Had a spare and replaced it, now that one is leaking. This is an active 65 tall reef tank.

Couple of questions, I tried cleaning the sand from the bottom of the overflow but maybe did not have it completely free of sand, would this make a huge difference?

It is dripping about one drop per second back into my sump do I need to fix this immediately. I've got a hood with lights mounted to the hood so this is not a quick project.

Did you make sure the bulkhead is tightened down all the way? Was there a gasket on the bulkhead? Is the drip going directly into the sump or is it running off your stand into the sump?

Did you make sure the bulkhead is tightened down all the way? Was there a gasket on the bulkhead? Is the drip going directly into the sump or is it running off your stand into the sump?

It's tightened down real good, used a bulkhead wrench.
The gasket is on the inside of the overflow.
It is dripping directly into the sump luckily.

It's almost has to be some sand between the gasket and bottom of the tank.

Another question I have checked all around trying to find another replacement and am being told that the only way to get an all glass replacement is to buy their complete overflow kit. I have ordered a slip fit
3/4" from SeaCorals but would like to find something local tomorrow.

Checked with Fintastic and they only had the kit for $75.

You can order bulkheads from glass-holes.com. You can also put a little plumbers silicone grease on the gasket to ensure it won't leak.

Thanks, anyplace I can get an AG replacement with the barb?
I ended up buying a complete overflow kit and can return it if I can get a replacement for the 3/4 bulkhead. It needs to be All Glass.

Back
Top Bottom