Replacing T5 Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajbully

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Typically how long do the 54 watt T5 bulbs last? I have had mine for 13 months now. Should they be replaced? They are on 9 hours a day.

I have heard 12 -18 months. If they are not over-driven then I guess you can expect about 15 months of use at 9 hours a day. Others may chime in with more knowledgeable answers.

I replaced mine after about a year, but didn't notice any difference. You just reminded me to buy a light meter so I can actually see the length of time it takes for the spectrum to change. I will say this. When you change them, make sure the fixture is cooled down, otherwise you risk breaking the end caps (like I did). I would do it in the morning before the lights come on.

Last edited:
Cmor is correct typically T5s will last 12-18 months as long as they are not "over-driven". I run mine for 12 hours per day and will probably replace them at the 12 month mark.

You know, I have T5's and love 'em. They last, are affordable to purchase and build a tank around,do not generate a lot of heat,you can keep and grow darn near anything in the ocean, and they create a very nice lighting effect on the tank. Oh yeah, and energy efficient to boot.

Why doesn't the entire hobby put down their power compacts (replace every 6 months and are expensive), metal halides (Require a lot of power, are very expensive and degrade quickly in comparison, Ohh and generate a ton of heat) and Led's (New technology costing a ton of money to impliment effectively)

The T5 is the perfect lamp and fixture. a 4 barrell 54 watter (48in) with bulbs can be had for $200. Talk about making a reef tank affordable to set up. It's the light that keeps everyone from taking the step because they are so darn expensive to purchase up front.

You know, I have T5's and love 'em. They last, are affordable to purchase and build a tank around,do not generate a lot of heat,you can keep and grow darn near anything in the ocean, and they create a very nice lighting effect on the tank. Oh yeah, and energy efficient to boot.

Why doesn't the entire hobby put down their power compacts (replace every 6 months and are expensive), metal halides (Require a lot of power, are very expensive and degrade quickly in comparison, Ohh and generate a ton of heat) and Led's (New technology costing a ton of money to impliment effectively)

The T5 is the perfect lamp and fixture. a 4 barrell 54 watter (48in) with bulbs can be had for $200. Talk about making a reef tank affordable to set up. It's the light that keeps everyone from taking the step because they are so darn expensive to purchase up front.

- Brought to you by the National HO T5 Association.

Just kidding, lol. I love em too.

Back
Top Bottom