return pump for a 92 corner tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boxxmann

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am wondering what size and kind of return pump do I use for a 92 gallon corner tank. I just upgraded from a 55 gallon which had a Mag 7. I am currently using the Mag 7, but I know I need to go larger. Thanks. :?:

The main question is how much flow does your overflow handle and is it internal (drilled) or HOB?

The Mag 7 you have is enough for a 92 gal IMO. 480 GPH will still turn over your tank 5 times per hour which is decent for a sump. Of course you would have to supplement additional current using a couple of ph in the tank to get it closer to 1500 -1800 GPH total.

Personally I like the Seio 820 pumps which put out a nice wide flow. Two of these along with your Mag 7 would be perfect IMO.

If your overflow can handle 1200+GPH then you could get a larger pump like the Mag 9.5 or Mag 12 but these pumps run a little louder and hotter then the Mag 7.

Other options include Coralife Turbo-Sea, Iwaki pump, & Dolphin pumps

I agree that we will need to know how much your overflow will handle. Welcome to AA Matt

The tank I have is drilled. I was going to get a Mag 9.5 and get a Seio 1100. I already have a Seio 820 in the tank now. Would that be a good choice?

boxxmann said:
The tank I have is drilled.
One hole or two? 1" or 1 1/2"? As long as your overflow can handle 800+ GPH then the Mag 9.5 would be fine.

ellisz said:
Modded Maxijet 1200's or 900' are nice and can de done for cheap if you have the maxijet already. See www.mjmods.com for more info
Have you tried this already? I assume it's a wider higher flow like the SEIO pumps from looking at the "kit". Still trying to figure out how just putting a larger prop on the same motor kicks the MJ1200 from 295 GPH to 2400 GPH :? I didn't see anything about increasing voltage or other means to speed up the motor.

Have you tried this already? I assume it's a wider higher flow like the SEIO pumps from looking at the "kit". Still trying to figure out how just putting a larger prop on the same motor kicks the MJ1200 from 295 GPH to 2400 GPH I didn't see anything about increasing voltage or other means to speed up the motor.

I have 2 running right now. and yes they do flow more at a wider dispersion. It really depends on the shroud design and the prop as to how much flow is produced and how condensed it is. It is all prop and no voltage changes.

I have a Seio 620 and both of my modded MJ1200 destroy it. If I remember correcly from a post on RC that the concept is not new. Supposedly the Tunzes use a similar concept.

Check out www.reefvideos.com for a video how how to build one and one in action.

Thanks :D I have two old MJ that I've retired but the mod looks promising.

I just installed a Mag 9.5 and added a Seio 1100 to my tank. Now I have a Seio 820, Seio 1100, and a Mag 9.5 for the return. Now I am really moving some water and my tank loves it!!

So you have about a 29 times turnover now? The wide flow of the Seio pumps doesn't make it hurricane crazy though :D Glad your tank is lovin it.

Back
Top Bottom