return pump head pressure question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gunk

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm building a 46 gal bowfront reef tank. I've got an eshopps pf-800 overflow (800gph), into a proflex 23 gal sump. The return hose will be 3/4". Now for the question. I should be looking for a return pump that should put out around 700 gph at 5' head. 5' is from the bottom of sump where pump will be to the return nozzle. Is this correct? I know i don't want the pump to be more than 800 gph or it will fill faster than the tank will drain. Right? Next question is can someone recommend a good pump brand to look at? From what I understand you want the return to be as closely matched to the overflow withou going over as you can. Also one more question. Typically the manufacturers will tell you the head at 0', 3', 4', 6'. How do i know what the head would be a 5' since they don't list that height because the gph don't seem to be linear between the heights i.e. The difference in gph from 0' to 3' is not the same as from 3' to 6'. Thanks much for any info you can provide.

Yes you want to match your pump to your overflow. I have ball valves in my return line and my overflow just so I can tweak them As far as a good pump I have a marineland pump I know pondmaster makes a mag drive that is good but I guess everyone will have there own opinion on them

you can choke back a pump at it's exhaust port safely. there is no need to put a ball valve on a drain to sump because it will only drain what the pump is sending up- not a drop more.
i agree that quiet one pumps are good. getting one slightly larger than your overflow is rated for is a good idea, then choke it back to exactly what you need. this does not hurt the pump at all to do this. as a matter of fact, it will lengthen the life of the pump and use less electricity.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the quiet one pumps and like them too. I also like the idea of being able to fine tune the return flow. One question though. I noticed on the quiet flow pumps there is a threaded piece that looks like pvc for the hook ups. What do i use to hook the pump to the return? I was planning on using 3/4" flexible vinyl. What kind of return would i use? The one i now can be used with 1/2 or 3/4" flexible vinyl

it comes with a threaded/barbed adapter. you can add a vinyl return line. i can't remember if the barbed end reduces to 3/4" though. you might need to go with 1" hose.

Do you just put teflon tape around the threads? How do you know how much to close the valve to find the "sweet spot" Thanks

Do you just put teflon tape around the threads? How do you know how much to close the valve to find the "sweet spot" Thanks
these are submersible pumps. it will be completely submerged in your sump return area. you don't have to have a water tight seal on the threads. i just screwed the barb fitting on and never had a problem with it.

as for finding the correct pressure, i would adjust until right before the dt water level starts rising above the overflow height.

Ihave a 1532gph return pump and a 1200gph overflow and use a ball valve just after the return pump to throttle back any extra flow. It takes just a bit of tinkering to get it right but one you do you're set. Just gotta set up an ATO or be diligent in adding top off water.

Well I ended up ordering a Rio 17HF. I like the qo's but they were a little big footprint wise. The space in my sump is kind of limited(10"x9 7/8") and I'm putting a SWC 120 protein skimmer in there too. The sump is an aqueon proflex model 2 and it has filter socks in the first chamber so putting the skimmer in there is not an option I don't think. The Rio 17HF will put out aaround 725-750 gph at 5 ft and its a pretty slim design. I hope it will be enough

I have a rio HF 26 and haven't had any issues with it yet. But it's only been four months or so. I also was concerned with the footprint and just couldnt spend the almost $200 for another pump. With the price I paid I figure I could have a backup one just in case and still not have spent $200. LOL

i have heard of them going bad and leaking oil into the tank. maybe they have corrected this since a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom