return pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toothpik

Aquarium Advice Regular
I dont completely understand what a return pump is. All i know is that it creates a push for water to go up into the main tank. but i looked to see where i can buy one but no results...i googled it and typed in "return pump" but nothing. is there like a technical term for it? or is like the air pump like for bubble stones?

A return pump is just a water pump, either submersable or external, that pushes water from your sump into your main aquarium. As the water is pushed from the sump into the aquarium, this causes the aquarium to fill up to the point that the excess water gets pushed into the overflow box and then cycles down back into the sump.

Pretty much any kind of water pump can work, but you'll need to figure out what size you need based on the flow capabilities of your overflow system and how high above the sump your tank is.

im not very good with calculations lol im just now starting to plan my whole overflow box and sump its just a 10 gall tank and a 10gall sump. whats the best and cheapest way u suggest

I'm all FW, although I'm planning my first SW tank. Yes, it will have a sump, but haven't figured out rates and pumps yet.

The best method is to drill the tank. A 250gph pump, internal or external, should provide sufficient flow; of course, depending on how much flow-through you want and could go larger depending on what else you plan to feed.

A weir as in a u-tube? Sounds like what you are getting at...I don't trust them. There are many options in drilling the tank, to just using a bulkhead and diy'ing a surface skimmer (optional) or making an external/internal overflow system. It just depends on how creative you want to be. If cost is an issue than the simplest, yet very effective, way of setting up a 10g is to skip the sump, purchase a strong hob (Aquaclear 110), create a refugium out of it, and let it rip. Much to consider... ;)

wow lol well im just trying to expand my water volume since im just a 17 yr old and still with my parents lol they dont want me to go out and buy a big tank so im just trying to find a loop somewhere... so i arrived at a sump...the sump isnt going to cost much just the overflow and the return pump...found a protein skimmer for $30

wow lol well im just trying to expand my water volume since im just a 17 yr old and still with my parents lol they dont want me to go out and buy a big tank so im just trying to find a loop somewhere... so i arrived at a sump...the sump isnt going to cost much just the overflow and the return pump...found a protein skimmer for $30
I wonder about a $30 protein skimmer not an area you can go cheap on. On the other hand it may not be necessary so I guess for $30 it couldn't hurt. You will find that most overflow boxes are big and putting it in a small tank tanks up a lot of valuable space Would your parents allow you a 29g tank its much easier than a 10g to care for

I dont think they would allow me bc i already have an established tank and it would cost more money and the economy and money friendly as of now lol its a fission protein skimmer even if its a little DOC gone its better than nothing. Well isnt the overflow box kinda on the upper regions of the tank... ill clownfishes and a dartfish so i dont think they will mind and my LR aint that tall its just wide

Back
Top Bottom