Rimless or Hooded tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they generally are hit or miss. reports of sloppy silicone and other things are not uncommon. i had pretty good luck with them. they made my 195.
the thing you have to ask yourself is- are the blemishes worth the better price?

when i went to pick up my tank many others were too. it was at a centralized location about an hour from my home.
my tank had a small nick on the corner back of the tank and it was supposed to be euro braced. instead this is what i arrived to find-
img_1209829_0_d5eae1e1a392f04ed9f5e0b0c434306a.jpg

they also put that black plastic border on the tank to hide sloppy craftsmanship. i complained to the people in charge and they handed me a few dollars cash right there. i accepted it because i was on a schedule. if i didn't have a tank that weekend, i would have had to pay for another month at my old apartment...bla bla bla...
anyway, this tank was about half the price of the other quotes i got.

it was worth it to me, and i would use them again if they were able to duplicate another "half price" deal like that.

Was the black boarder removable and just used for shipping? Did you just buy the tank or did you get the sump and stand too? I feel like I could make a sump for less than they charge

that's not removable. it's siliconed on. it wasn't horrible. maybe if i was displaying this tank differently, i would have been angry, but it was meant for an in-wall application and wouldn't have been seen by anyone but me-
img_1209848_0_dcb6fe2ec03d99fab15ce3012056f93a.jpg

a rimless peninsula. very cool.
no, i ordered it euro braced. it's not supposed to have any braces across the top. i was hoping to light it with 2 x 400 watt halides in lumenarc reflectors, but when it came light that, i went with 3 x 250 watt instead...no biggy.

How are the Halides on your electricity bill? I'm think about getting hanging one for the tank instead of going with T5s, but I know nothing about them

well, it's all relative. a 250 watt halide uses 250 watts of electric. it will only light a roughly 24" x 24" area. if you are considering a tank like the one pictured above, then a single 250 or 400 watt halide might be your best choice.
if you end up with a rectangular shape, you might need 2 of them for complete coverage and then you would weigh out your options-
besides aesthetics, you might be better off with a t-5 unit, because you can light a 4' area with less watts used.
you are going to have to evaluate your situation and go with what works best.
personally, if i had that tank you posted, i would use a single 400 watt halide in a lumenbright pendant.
Lumen Bright 3 SE Mogul Base PENDANT by CoralVue* - AquaCave
the reflector inside that pendant is supposed to be the best on the market.

well, what tank are we talking about? the peninsula in the photo you posted? it's going to take 2 of those smaller pendants for the right coverage, and i'm sure those pendants don't have the intensity that the lumen brights do.

if it was me, i'd go with the best i could get. i believe that lumenbright to be the best metal halide pendant available.

Back
Top Bottom