Rinsing XP2 Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is a dumb question...but what is the most efficient way to rinse off the XP2 media? What I do is put it in a bucket of tank water and start rubbing as much off as I can but the pads are still very dirty. Any other methods?

I have a Filstar xP1 and once a month I replace the micro-filtration pad and squeeze out the 20ppi and 30ppi pads in a bucket of tank water.

I do the same as gheitman, chuck the micro pads and rinse the others.

You really have to keep squeezing and let the sponge completely expand after you squeeze. Takes forever-I just do it 'til I can't stand it no more.

After about a year the finer pads (#30) got un-rinseable, so I replaced them recently.

PS: gheitman-is that your angel in the avatar? It's beautiful!

Honestly, I clean my canisters pads in tap water. As long as you keep the ceramic rings (or whatever other media you are using) and don't clean those you can clean it off in tap.

plecoperson said:
I do the same as gheitman, chuck the micro pads and rinse the others.

You really have to keep squeezing and let the sponge completely expand after you squeeze. Takes forever-I just do it 'til I can't stand it no more.

After about a year the finer pads (#30) got un-rinseable, so I replaced them recently.

PS: gheitman-is that your angel in the avatar? It's beautiful!

Yep, that was one of my angels. I started off with four juveniles and eventually ended up with a pair that would spawn regularly (although they never successfully raised any fry). I've attached a picture of the pair.

Attachments

• 30g0605-5_968.jpg
    30g0605-5_968.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 23
Off the subject a bit but I have a mated pair of marble veils myself. Your Angels are really beautiful.

Thanks for asking - Here are my angels. i love to watch them since they paired off. There is a big difference and they are always together- always close by eachother. pretty cool

........Sorry Marconis --got off the subject a bit, huh? I have an Aquael Canister that is about a month old. I couldn't rinse the media in the tank water as I was battling and scraping algae. I rinsed in the tap. That night my fish seemed distressed and sure enough my nitrites registered on my test kit. Did another water change of 20% and no more sign of nitrites by morning. I believe it really is a very good idea to rinse in some of the siphoned off tank water during a change. Of course, I replaced some of the aquascape and this could have also contributed to the decrease in the bacteria I needed to fend off nitrites so I guess it depends on just how much you are doing in one session

Attachments

• myangelfemale-edited_932.jpg
    myangelfemale-edited_932.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 183
  • myangel-male-edited_141.jpg
    myangel-male-edited_141.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 187
Thanks :) I have had them since April - not long but they've grown fromthe size of a dime to almost 3 " bodies - not including fins.

..OR aprox 4 times as long as I have had my canister and filter media. (staying on point Marconis,..lol)

Back
Top Bottom