RO/DI and well water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radioheadx14

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am moving home for a year and a half and my parents have well water. The have a pretty good water softening system and the water out of the faucet is not bad. When i move home i will still have FW fish and wont be getting SW fish until i move again, but i water to get a RO/DI system for my FW fish, and then use it for my SW fish when i move. I have read that well water requires specific parts on a RO/DI unit. i did some surfing and i found this system http://www.spectrapure.com/St_MaxCap-RO-DI.htm Is that good for well water stock? is there another system that i could use? i read that i would have to get a specific type of membrane and would need extra filters and would not really need carbon filters. I want a system i can use on well water and then take with me for city water use in the future thanks for any help/advice.

If you use RO/DI water for your fw fish you need an RO buffer. Never use straight RO water for freshwater fish.

Also, IME (and the reason I don't run RO water in my reef tank) is that RO units will suck the water out of a well FAST! I ran my well dry so many times before I finally just gave up and stopped using it. You may be better off using just well water but that's up to you. Both units are great, I like the price on Scott's much better. :)

hmm, so having FW fish & well water, should i not even use either RO/DI? i plan on getting one when i switch to SW and am back on city tap water. I didnt know if running some extra filtration on well water would be a good idea. I have had FW fish in the well water from my parents house for years, the pH is usually high but i rarely had fish die off. Also i have heard that rainbows like higher pH and i have heard they like lower pH... so i don't know... and i am dreading acclimatizing them from tap->well->tap.

Are there any good articles on well water and fish?

hmm, i know with the well water i will be using, it goes through a softener, so some of the metals will be removed, and we don't have a problem with the sulfer, but sometimes if you leave a glass out, it sometimes turns yellow due to iron.

To those of you who use well water, what do you do? Should i buy some extra filter? just let the water set and aerate it... or something else?

If I leave water in a glass, it builds up lime and calcium, I think it is those two or just one of them. I premix my water anyways, so I always have extra water. I also have a RO/DI, but didn't have any problems before I had one. Like I said, all wells are going to be different. I'm not sure what's involved in FW well water.

ok, thanks, maybe i'll ask some advice on the FW forum... I may have to get a RO/DI unit with a buffer for my freshies

I'll just move it to the general hardware/equipment section. I think you will get better responses there.

Back
Top Bottom