RO/DI filters, Good deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am buying my water. 59 cents a gallon is not bad. And I will only be spending about 15 bucks a month doing it that way.

How big is your tank?

It's 55 gallons. Where are you getting your water from, 59 cents a gallon seems sort of high for distilled water. I usually spend 15 to 25 cents.

This is probably a dumb question--but I haven't really seen much discussion (actually, any that I can think of) of distilled water. Is distilled water okay for a tank?

I pay $.30 for RO water at the grocery store. My LFS wants $.50 for RO, $1 for mixed SW.

I've been looking around a bit on ebay for one of those. Seems like a decent deal. I find it odd that so many people buy their water from stores. Seems more expensive in the long run, not to mention the hassle of driving car loads of water jugs home.

Yeah, I just don't have a place for the filter unit. It's hard enough finding room for the saltwater, topoff water, etc. It's kind of a hassle to get the water, but on the flip side I don't have to wait for my unit to produce enough water for a change.

I just helped a friend install one from them last week. All in all it seems like quite a good unit. I even noticed that you can get replacement carbon chambers from HD.

The only thing I caution is when using the piercing valve. If a chrome pipe they are quite soft and it will crush it. Ended up replacing the coldwater pipe with a flexi and solid "no leak" conector for the unit. Costs about $15.00 CND and installed everything in about 15 min.

Cheers
Steve

It says you can tell them to include a different option for water source. Do not get piercing. Have them give you the hose connector, this will make a simple T hookup. I got something similar for my RO DI unit that I ordered on ebay. T is better because piercing will eventually fail and it is permanent. T is easy to instal and comes with a little ball valve so you can cut water off from the source.
Swift

I just got mine today... EXACT! same unit as linked to. I am overall happy with it. I got the aerator adapter (he also still gave me the pin adapter) but for some reason I got a shower filter and 12 replacements in addition... I know I didn't pay for it... I guess it was just my lucky day! I will probably get the hose adapter from home depot or lowes because I don't like the idea of the pin through the piping.

I also have one. Been using it for about 2 months now. My TDS reading of my tap water was 418 and after the RO/DI it comes out 1. That is really good. Easy to set up and the place is good at support if you need it.

HTH

Mike

RocketSeason said:
Well, I am also an apartment dweller, so I cant go tearing up hoses under the sink.
The piping is actually very easy to remove and cheap to replace if needed. As swiftwing7 said, it would be much safer than using the piercing valve.

Cheers
Steve

I live in an apartment and I just use the aerator valve... I probably will tap it in a few weeks when I get the time though.

Back
Top Bottom