Ro/di in danger of freezing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got a question:

I started making Ro/di water this afternoon for the first time ( after letting the first few gallons get out).

Anyway, my ro/di is hooked up to the hose connection outside. Its currently 37 degrees, but will get to about 20-25 ish or so by the time I get the 25 gallons I need. Is it ok to continue to keep the ro/di going or should I bring it in and continue making water another day? I dont want to damage it. I know generally water only freezes if its sitting still, and this water is constantly moving through the ro/di. Help! :) I need water for a water change, but of course dont want to damage my brand new ro/di.

thanks!!

Right now the hookup ( whole unit) is outside because the faucet is outside. Once its done, I'm bringing the RO/Di in the house and storing the water in the garage. I just wanted to make sure its going to be OK in those temps while I'm getting the water.

A hard call to make on that one. I will caution you only because I'm having to replace my entire unit due to leaving it out to get a few more 5 gallon jugs filled up.....very stupid on my part and I'm now learning a hard $250 lesson.

I'd say get whatever you can before the temps drop too low. Make the rest during the day tomorrow.

Good luck!

I keep mine in my tool shed. The water hose is outside and comes in to the toolshed. If the unit is outside I`d bring it in.

Sounds good. I was able to get about 10-15 gallons before bringing it in. So far so good. Thanks for the help :)

I know generally water only freezes if its sitting still, and this water is constantly moving through the ro/di.

Your not moving enough water through the unit to prevent it from freezing. Your unit produces water at a GPH or GPD rate.
Water coming out of supply lines in the groung hovers in the mid 40'S or so depending on location. You would need a decent
GPM flow rate to keep the unit from freezing once the temp dropped below 30 - 31'F. Even then the unit would freeze from
the outside in. Just much slower. Water does funny things below 34'F or so.
I wouldn't take the chance below 35'F in the shade.

"ice always wins".

Back
Top Bottom